Evil Plastic Label Glue or Enhanced Label Removal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNGabe

Reaction score
If you're reading this thread, you probably know what I'm talking about. Usually found on 750 ml belgian bottles. The plastic label on Rodenbach Grand Cru and Petrus Pale that peels off and then leaves that evil glue. Jolly Pumpkin lables are terrible, too. A friend gave me about a case and half of JP bottles that he'd been saving and it was a chore. The usual hot oxyclean soak doesn't cut it without some serious scrubbing. Any 'enhanced' label removal techniques? I've considered a nylon bristle brush on a bench grinder, but that seems extreme. And i dont have a bench grinder so I'd be holding the bottle with one hand and the drill with the other. I'm getting 5 cases of 750s from another friend this weekend, so I'm open to suggestions.

TNGabe said:
Never cosidered that one. Might give it a shot, but I'm wary of heating the bottles that much. I guess I'll try a heat gun and see how that goes.

That should work too. I'd just be careful to make sure the bottle is heated evenly so that it doesn't shatter from thermal shock.

Never had to deal with bottles since I keg. But in my experiences, the one thing that hasn't let me down has been either WD-40 or liquid lighter fluid refill. I believe the stuff I have is for zippo lighters called Ronsol. It eats away that sticky glue pretty quickly. I prefer the lighter fluid over the WD-40 but it still works.
Good luck!

Back