Star-san

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-Man

Reaction score
Folks, what are the star-San Do's and Dont's ?
I just picked some up tonight and the instructions on the bottle are written in a font that is unreadable almost to the naked eye.

Folks, what are the star-San Do's and Dont's ?
I just picked some up tonight and the instructions on the bottle are written in a font that is unreadable almost to the naked eye.

I had to put my glasses on to read mine. Some things to know though is use it and do not fear the foam

Pretty much all you need to know is the dilution rate which is 6ml per gallon of water. Get yourself a cheap medicine syringe at walgreen or walmart and measuring out the amount is easy. Once its diluted its pretty safe I would be more careful handling the concentrated solution. Here is a tip, mix it with distilled water in a spray bottle and it never goes bad so you can spot sanitize smaller items. Other then that I am sure if you go to their website you can read all the official literature there.

Don't set the concentrated Star San bottle on a Formica surface. Chances are there is concentrate residue on the bottom of the bottle that will acid etch your countertop. Ok you have been warned!

The stuff has a OG of 1.3ish or something like that, I think it is fully fermentable.

From Five Star (Download Tech Sheet)

 PROPERTIES
APPEARANCE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ………... . . LIGHT BROWN
ODOR . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ………... .. . SLIGHTLY ALCOHOLIC
PHOSPHATE CONTENT AS % Phosphorus . . . ... ………... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 5.8%
SPECIFIC GRAVITY. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ………. . . .1.320

Must be the raw product or I'm reading it wrong? Some other type of Specific Gravity?

From Five Star (Download Tech Sheet)

 PROPERTIES
APPEARANCE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ………... . . LIGHT BROWN
ODOR . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ………... .. . SLIGHTLY ALCOHOLIC
PHOSPHATE CONTENT AS % Phosphorus . . . ... ………... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 5.8%
SPECIFIC GRAVITY. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ………. . . .1.320

Must be the raw product or I'm reading it wrong? Some other type of Specific Gravity?

Every liquid has a specific gravity, that just means the density of the liquid, it doesn't necessarily mean it's density comes from sugar, or that it is fermentable. Here's a chart of specific gravities for many liquids, very few of which are fermentables.

Latest posts

Back