Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. I saw that. I don't see how it's worth that but ...

I'll make a deal and sell it for $25. :D It is an unfinished, factory second after all.

As generous an offer as that is, I'll pass. :D All stocked up on cobs ATM. Really though, it looks like it'd pack a nice sized bowl, something to smoke on all afternoon on a lazy Sunday.

Probably out of style these days. I haven't smoked a pipe in years, until tonight. I was out in my garage and broke open the Sherlock Holmes pipe cabinet my uncle gave to my father and my father gave to me shortly before he passed away 10 years ago.

Inside is a collection of Dad's pipes, my uncle's, and mine. Some beautiful hand crafted pieces of beauty in that cabinet. Many of them are works of art and some are standard drug store pipes; my personal collection are nicely crafted briar pipes I bought or were given as presents. There is a Meerschaum Calabash in there as well, not sure if it was Dad's or my uncle's.

I felt a little nostalgic and found some old pipe tobacco in a pipe holder I built years ago and packed my Dad's favorite old pipe. I thought the tobacco would be to dry but loaded the pipe, packed it down ever so gently after the initial burn and sat down to enjoy a good smoke.

Don't think I'll be smoking much again but it was sort of nice going back in time.

Dan,

I didn't know you were a pipe smoker! NordeastBrewer pointed me in the direction of this thread. I've recently taken up pipe smoking a few months ago, and I'm really enjoying it.

I bet your family pipe collection is awesome. I regret getting rid of some of my grandfathers pipes many years ago. I wish I still had them now that I've taken up the hobby.

Nothing like enjoying a sweet smoke on brew day!

Sure, blame me. :D Really though, glad you joined us! Apparently beer and pipes go well together, or so I've been told. :mug:

This was my Thanksgiving smoke today. Don't judge me for the Blue Moon! :drunk:
img-20121122-00185-57353.jpg

This is what I was smoking;
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mcclelland/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=42893
:tank:

Hey Mike!

Glad you found this thread, thanks NB!

My collection is not extensive and consist of my dad's, uncle's pipes and mine. Look forward to hearing more from you on here. I keep trying to sidetrack this thread but it seems to stay on course!

:pipe:

Dan

maybe generic to some, but I really enjoy Captain Black. especially with heavy Belgian styles & Imperial Stouts.

I like Captain Black as well. The Royal was the first tobacco that I bought more than once, it's a nice, smooth smoke. I like it with a couple fingers of rum, but yes, RIS, barleywine, wee's, it goes great with a big beer.

Hey Mike!

Glad you found this thread, thanks NB!

My collection is not extensive and consist of my dad's, uncle's pipes and mine. Look forward to hearing more from you on here. I keep trying to sidetrack this thread but it seems to stay on course!

:pipe:

Dan

Glad to join you guys!

So far my collection consists of 2 briar pipes. I had a 3rd (which was a cob), but It had a crack on the bowl. I was looking at pipes online yesterday, and it's amazing what they can cost. I saw pipes as high as $2000.00! I'm hoping to get to my tobacconist soon. They have pipes ranging from $30-$200. That's a little more feasible.

Being a wood worker/carpenter by trade I'm thinking I want to try my hand at making a pipe. I can order briar wood and stems online. Who knows, maybe I'll change careers!

I've really been enjoying the Holiday Spirit tobacco that I linked in my earlier post. I have a tin of Christmas Cheer that I'm going to crack open next weekend for the month of December. I've heard good things about it.

I'll buy one from you if you decide to go into the trade. Looking over some of the woodcraft you've made and posted online, I can definitely imagine you as a pipe maker! Go for it brother!

I just pulled the trigger on a tin of Christmas Cheer. I should see it middle of this week.

I'm looking forward to trying it. We'll have to compare notes.

Yesterday I ordered a few new tins of stuff. One is called Chocolate Silk, which is another that I'm excited to try. I tend to like aromatic varieties best, but I enjoy purist tobaccos as well.

Stauffbier said:
I'm looking forward to trying it. We'll have to compare notes.

Yesterday I ordered a few new tins of stuff. One is called Chocolate Silk, which is another that I'm excited to try. I tend to like aromatic varieties best, but I enjoy purist tobaccos as well.

Notes? Good luck on that. I'm most definitely still learning.

Of the bag of 12, I've "broken in" 11.

My least favorite pipe, the Freehand, leaks. To the point that it was impossible to draw enough air through a plug to even get it lit.

So, rather than chuck it I decided to chop it. I cut ~1 to1-1/2 inches off the top and slathered the outside with some elmers wood glue. I'll let that cure and then sand it down to smooth it out. The cobb was so porous that air was being drawn in through the sides of the bowl despite having no visible sign of any crack when looking down into it.

I really like the shape now and the glue has sealed up the bowl so it draws properly.

I smoke a pipe as a change of pace from cigars. I like the McClelland line of pipe tobacco. I usually keep Black Shag and Frog Morton around at all times.

My everyday pipe is a bent Butz Choquin.

I like the McClelland line of pipe tobacco. I usually keep Black Shag and Frog Morton around at all times.

I suggest, if I may, you give some of the GL Pease blends a try too. VERY similar to Black Shag (I'm liking this blend too) and Frog Morton blends.

So far, I'm really enjoying Jack knife, Westminster, and Chelsea Morning.

I suggest, if I may, you give some of the GL Pease blends a try too. VERY similar to Black Shag (I'm liking this blend too) and Frog Morton blends.

So far, I'm really enjoying Jack knife, Westminster, and Chelsea Morning.

I'll have to look into those, thanks. :mug:

Rick

I started a bowl today. Making a bowl that is. I had a knot that I took from a tree several years ago. I may be going about it all wrong, but I'm giving it a shot.

image-2723152005.jpg

image-826141609.jpg

GilaMinumBeer said:
If the first smoke causes you to see blue spots, it was prolly a petrified mushroom. And you gotta tell us where to find that tree.

I honestly can't remember where it was. I got it before a camping trip at least 3 years ago, whittled on it some, and left it in the glovebox of my Wrangler until I cleaned it out to sell recently.

I just bought my first starter pipe - a churchwarden. Used to smoke cigarettes and since I gave them up I've smoked one each year on New Year's Eve as a victory lap. That recent tradition has made me come the realization that cigarette taste terrible. Awful, in fact. I do smoke Hookah on occasion and still enjoy the taste and aroma of that very much.

Queue this thread and I was reminded of my original aim of cutting loose the cigarettes - to actually enjoy smoking tobacco again, every once and a while. I've always fantasized, and even talked, about switching over to pipes and just enjoying a bowl every few weeks and now I've finally made the purchase.

I'm thinking about getting some McBaren Seven Seas Royal as my first pipe-tobacco buy. Any reviews, suggestions, favorites?

It all depends on what you like! I personally don't care for aromatics, so a "nice" English or Balkan would be my vote. I put nice in quotes because it doesn't really mean "mellow or mild" so much as a tobacco that is easy to smoke. I find that a lot of Virginias really bite the tongue, yet a bold smoke like Dunhill Nightcap is easy to smoke, very flavorful, and all around awesome. Actually, there's a good recommendation! A complete non-smoker blew through a stash of Nightcap I left at my office once when I went out of town. He filled in for me, grabbed a pipe, and puffed his days away.

Two of my favorite producers are Cornell & Diehl and GL Pease. They're sister brands. I met a couple of the guys at a pipe show years ago, and they're very knowledgeable and friendly ... not to mention good deals on tins at a show! Check out their website- they have a trial pack offer that allows you to pick 5 blends if I'm not mistaken.

From Cornell & Diehl website:

We offer a Trial Pack, (5 blends, 2 ounces each, you pick'em, including premium blends - pressed, too, if it's available) for $35.00, or 8 blends for $43.00 plus S&H. The trial pack may include C&D tinned tobaccos, GL Pease tins, Two Friends blends, and Hermit Capt. Earle blends but the sample will be 1 ounce.

Yeah, that's the ticket! It would be a good way to check out a wide variety of really interesting tobacco without spending a lot on expensive tins. (I had a tin of MacBaren I just didn't really like- it was too sweet...ended up blending it into a big jar of "tobacco")

Kajun Kake! And try the Capt. Earle Nightwatch. It's a smokey smoke if there ever was one!

From Cornell & Diehl website:

We offer a Trial Pack, (5 blends, 2 ounces each, you pick'em, including premium blends - pressed, too, if it's available) for $35.00, or 8 blends for $43.00 plus S&H. The trial pack may include C&D tinned tobaccos, GL Pease tins, Two Friends blends, and Hermit Capt. Earle blends but the sample will be 1 ounce.

I'll have to look in to this!

I love the old-timeyness of pipe smoking. I really like the thought of it.

But, I haven't had a puff in 6 years. Was a lifelong smoker here, started in my early teens. One of the ways I gauge my value, my manliness, is to keep my vows. This is one of them.

I envy you guys, I really do, but I'm not doin it. Arggh.

I love the old-timeyness of pipe smoking. I really like the thought of it.

But, I haven't had a puff in 6 years. Was a lifelong smoker here, started in my early teens. One of the ways I gauge my value, my manliness, is to keep my vows. This is one of them.

I envy you guys, I really do, but I'm not doin it. Arggh.

Very respectable!

I had a similar attitude for many years after I quit cigarettes in 2000. I mostly quit for my daughters sake. She had awful allergies, so I decided to quit. It was for my own benefit as well, but mostly for hers. Now she's all grown up and never home, so I figured a pipe every now and then couldn't hurt. I'll never smoke cigarettes again, though!

I haven't had a pipe in a while, just been so busy With work, I haven't had much time to have a beer and relax with the pipe. I have been looking for a new pipe on eBay for the last couple of weeks. I'm Almost out of tobacco and I'm thinking of picking up some carter hall again. It's a nice honest smoke and I love the aroma. I think I have some captain black left over as well. Any other OTC brands to suggest?

Back