Maris Otter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maris otter is not barley. Its the pelletized feces of pre-pubescent, post marital, virgin, double horned unicorns. Its magical and legendary, and actually doesn't even exist. Forget everything,

First time I've used Marris Otter myself, the brew is still in the fermenter - kind of a Fuller's London Pride style ale but not a clone per se. I have to ask, does it matter the brand? I used Crisp Marris Otter but see there are a few others out there. Are any better than the others?

Rev.

I have Baird's MO in stock/inventory. More than 2 sacks worth currently. I make a MO SMaSH that is so damned good you forget about all your worries. :D It's so good, even a Mormon cannot refuse it. :rockin:

I love the smell of freshly crushed MO in the morning... It smells even better when you're mashing it.

Christ, I'm rather intrigued but this grain as this is by no means the first time I've seen such favor to this malt. I'd been waiting to try it and soon will get to taste it in my own ale so I'm looking forward to it!

Rev.

My MO SMaSH uses EKG for the hops. I usually hop burst it to maximize hop flavor and aroma. Soooo daaaaamn gooooood. :D I have an IPA version about to go into serving kegs. Good thing since I'm on my last 3 gallon keg of the previous batch. I'll probably brew it again in about two weeks. Not sure if I'll do enough to just fill two kegs, or go bigger (again). All I know is that I do NOT want to run out of that brew. :rockin: :drunk:

First time I've used Marris Otter myself, the brew is still in the fermenter - kind of a Fuller's London Pride style ale but not a clone per se. I have to ask, does it matter the brand? I used Crisp Marris Otter but see there are a few others out there. Are any better than the others?

Rev.

...I've used Baird's and Thomas Fawcett. They both make awesome beers but the TF MO is definitely the more flavourful of the 2.

here is a review of several british malts: http://perfectpint.blogspot.ca/2011/03/british-malts-part-i.html

I have used many maltsters versions of Maris Otter barley over the years. As far as I am concerned, floor malted simply tastes better than the machine turned malt.

Thomas Fawcett still floor malts, but the better tasting barley is the Warminster Maris Otter from Scotland. It is very traditional, all turned by hand. It just adds a better depth of flavor.

Best idea is to try the 4-5 maltsters version of Maris Otter barley for yourselves.

I have and I prefer Warminster.

Back