Adding body to a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Villageidjit

Reaction score
Good day All,
Just opened my first bottle of homebrew in 12 years. Very happy with the flavour, but a bit disappointed with the mouthfeel. Brew was a pale ale: 8lbs pale extract, 4oz wheat malt, 8oz british crystal, hopped with cascade and goldings. What can I do to add some body to later brews without affecting flavour too much?
Thanks.

Try 4 oz maltodextrine. I think you can go as high as 8oz (in 5 gal), but I'd try 4 first.

Wow! Fast reply! Will give it a try. Will that increase the abv at all? I forgot to mention I primed with honey. Not sue that makes a difference, but thought it prudent to mention.
Thanks.

No idea what honey does in terms of mouthfeel, but my understanding is that because it is a very simple sugar, it adds little to mouthfeel.

And I understand maltodextrine to be completely unfermentable.

Pale Ales do not typically have a lot of body, but if you want more you could increase the amount of wheat malt, us 8 oz of Carapils, or try the maltodextrin. The use of steeping grains in general, adds to body.

No problem. Actually, since it doesn't get fermented, I think you can technically add it any time you want. Personally, I like to add it with 15 minutes left in the boil. That is also when I add my Irish moss, chiller, and usually some hops.

Adding it to the boil also ensures you don't contaminate your brew with something that isn't sterile.

Decided to try adding more wheat to my next batch which I will be starting tomorrow, but inadvertantly bought wheat flakes instead of wheat malt. Should I give it a go anyways or do without and try again next time?
Thanks.

freisste said:
No idea what honey does in terms of mouthfeel, but my understanding is that because it is a very simple sugar, it adds little to mouthfeel.

And I understand maltodextrine to be completely unfermentable.

Honey will dry and thin out the beer so if you like the honey add the malto dextrin to counteract what the honey does. Yes, malto dextrin is not fermentable hence the additional body

In addition, you can also mash a bit higher to add more body

Back