Using a can of coopers for a 10L brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schia

Reaction score
Hello,

Need help here. I have a mr.beer kit sitting at home and I refuse to buy their malt extract to make a 10 liter/2.64 US gallons batch. Instead I was hoping to get a can of coopers malt extract and use the whole can instead. I know this will make a really strong and high gravity beer but how about if I just add the whole can and skip the 1kg of sugar or dextrose will that help in balancing it out? The only reason I’m toying with this idea is because I’ve seen on youtube where some brewers use two cans of coopers as oppose to 1 and not add in sugar.

Those cans CLAIM to be for 5 gallons, but if you use one can for a 5 gallon batch you aren't going to have much of a beer. Also that extra sugar gives you alcohol and nothing else, I would skip it regardless. One can for a half sized batch is perfect IMO

Those cans CLAIM to be for 5 gallons, but if you use one can for a 5 gallon batch you aren't going to have much of a beer. Also that extra sugar gives you alcohol and nothing else, I would skip it regardless. One can for a half sized batch is perfect IMO

I have to agree and i think I've seen somewhere on their official website stating that if you plan to brew an english bitter, the water volumne should be 18L/4.72G and additional LME or DME together with it.

So now back to the question, is it recommended to use 1 can for half the amout of water?

So now back to the question, is it recommended to use 1 can for half the amout of water?

Yes... when I was doing those kinds of beers, I would always use 2 cans for 5 gallon batches, so one can for around 2.5 would be fine

Back