1st Lager carbed when I bottled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew69er

Reaction score
I made my 1st lager and just bottled it. I'm not taking readings yet but now I will start.

I fermented at 55 degrees for 14 days, 2 days at 60 degrees, moved to seconday at 40 degrees for 45 days.

When I bottled it foamed up in the bottles. With all my ales they have been 100% flat when I bottle. Is this normal for a lager?

I've only done 1 lager so far but I do remember a small amount of foam when I bottled it unlike with the ales. I assumed it was just some co2 coming out of solution as the beer warmed up.

You are probably bottling that lager at a colder temp than the ale was.....as that lager warms a bit during the bottling process it will off gas some CO2....

I have a Helles Lager I brewed the last week of October....I plan on bottling next week...been putting it off hoping Santa brings me that self-priming transfer pump I asked for :)

Same thing happened to my apfelwein i bottled last night. I kept telling my bottling buddy that its alright if some foam comes out of the top of the bottle. As a result the first few bottles have a lot of head space. :( like 2 inches probably. Not too worried though.

Back