Lets all drop the SWMBO.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I'm disappointed in all of you.

A thread title like this, and in nine pages, no one asked, "From how high?"

:mug:

Unfortunately, I think so to some extent. I attribute it to political correctness. It will destroy us.

I'm far from politically correct, it's just the term has had it's time, lets put it to bed with 'far out' and 'groovy'. I didn't mean it to be some high falutin' thread, I just think the term is dumb that's all!
http://www.danlew.com/wp-content/uploads/*****.gif

It's so hard to imply sarcasm via typing too. Maybe there should be some identifying mark to make sure sarcasm is known. . . um. . . .<sarcasm>?

derogatory, disrespectful? Yeah, absolutely...but more than that it's sofa king corny. If you truly view your wife that way i feel sorry for you; luckily i married a cool girl, not some Kunt

derogatory, disrespectful? Yeah, absolutely...but more than that it's sofa king corny. If you truly view your wife that way i feel sorry for you; luckily i married a cool girl, not some Kunt

laughing4.gif

Newly Wed

Did you really just drop the "C" bomb (it ain't spelled with a K) in discussing how "SWMBO" is derogatory?....

You realize that when you describe someone as a "****," you're basically saying:

"The worst possible thing you could be is a woman's vagina."

And you find SWMBO derogatory? :confused:

Did you really just drop the "C" bomb (it ain't spelled with a K) in discussing how "SWMBO" is derogatory?....

You realize that when you describe someone as a "****," you're basically saying:

I think the whole point of his post was that in his mind SWMBO = Kunt.

wow, unsubscribed. I just thought it was corny, not derogatory. How bout those Phillies clinching in 143 games!

will ALL the folks who don't have a sense of humor please leave the planet...

WHY do so many folks take this seriously? (rhetorical)
If I said hey, swmbo to my swmbo, she'd laugh, and say "yep, that's right!" and we'd keep on doing whatever...

I would think a "good" relationship would incorporate some humor, playfulness, etc. Not so much of this serious, take-offense ********

okay, backing off my (serious) soapbox...

I think of my wife as she who must be obeyed because, well, she should!

NOT because she's a scary aweful person, but because that is the deal we made to each other when we got married. If she looks me in the eye and says, "I don't want you to do that." I obey because I love and respect her, and I trust her to help guide me to a better life. And it goes both ways. There are times when I have to grab her and say, "Cut that out, you are embarrassing us and I want you to zip it." And ya know what? she does it and thanks me later.

THAT is an important part of a REAL partnership! Not just the loving supportive feel good Hallmark channel fluff.

I think of my wife as she who must be obeyed because, well, she should!

NOT because she's a scary aweful person, but because that is the deal we made to each other when we got married. If she looks me in the eye and says, "I don't want you to do that." I obey because I love and respect her, and I trust her to help guide me to a better life. And it goes both ways. There are times when I have to grab her and say, "Cut that out, you are embarrassing us and I want you to zip it." And ya know what? she does it and thanks me later.

THAT is an important part of a REAL partnership! Not just the loving supportive feel good Hallmark channel fluff.

The key is that it goes both ways and is not the norm. Unfortunately there are too many guys that obey as a dog would his master. A good example can bee seen on the recent page of the Masstoberfest Thread. That sir is sad. I'm not for dropping swmbo around here though. I am, however, for dropping literal swmbos based on my definition, not yours.

I will admit.... she has to do that to me a LOT more often than the other way around... but that's just cause I'm generally an idiot ;)

The key is that it goes both ways and is not the norm. Unfortunately there are too many guys that obey as a dog would his master. A good example can bee seen on the recent page of the Masstoberfest Thread. That sir is sad. I'm not for dropping swmbo around here though. I am, however, for dropping literal swmbos based on my definition, not yours.

I think Paulie may be exaggerating a little. A *little*.

^ No, this guy just doesn't get it...

I think the whole point of his post was that in his mind SWMBO = Kunt.

^Now this guy, he gets it. To elaborate: it's all disrespectful IMO

laughing4.gif

Newly Wed

^Sorry, i just don't get it...the longer you're married the less happy you are? I'm goin' on 11 years, and we were together 8 years before that. I think if i were to regret my decision it would have happened by now!

But like i said, when i hear it/see it here, i just think it's corny. I've actually gotten embarrassed for some of you guys. ;):eek:

It's corny and boring, honestly, and I think it's a little derogatory don't you think? I love a 'go make me a sandwich' joke every once and awhile, but I've found that all of the homebrew forums call our ladies SWMBO, it's too much. Let's all agree on SLF 'special lady friend'

bl-dude.jpeg

Stop visiting the forums. Obey your old lady a little more, I suppose. ;)

SWMBO isn't going anywhere, and for good reason: the evil man-hating women in our lives will continue to rule over us forevermore -- because they possess the GOODS gentlemen.

And RDWHAH is a perfect self-contained message for all the fretful beginner brewers out there, most of whom need to hear it a dozen or more times for the philosophy to stick.

Silly thread... go to sleep.

^Now this guy, he gets it. To elaborate: it's all disrespectful IMO

I'm goin' on 11 years, and we were together 8 years before that.

But like i said, when i hear it/see it here, i just think it's corny. I've actually gotten embarrassed for some of you guys. ;):eek:

wow. 19 years of humorless bliss....

Just kidding - really.
Obviously, different folks have different senses of humor. Wry is not one of yours, but is fairly common, which is why so many of us are okay with SWMBO.
Wry understands that SWMBO is tongue in cheek, not serious, maybe even funnier when stated seriously...

Wry is sarcasm that is not mean-spirited at all, but appreciated in good company. the dictionary calls us distorted, perverse :D in that the meanings we take are distorted from the original intent of the word. SWMBO is a perfect example. We don't take it as a directive, only as a reference to our significant other.

I'm guessing British humor leaves you scratching your head - but to each his own.

I called my significant other my SWMBO to her face last night -- she hugged me and said "I've been waiting for you to figure that out...."

wow. 19 years of humorless bliss....

Just kidding - really.
Obviously, different folks have different senses of humor. Wry is not one of yours, but is fairly common, which is why so many of us are okay with SWMBO.
Wry understands that SWMBO is tongue in cheek, not serious, maybe even funnier when stated seriously...

Wry is sarcasm that is not mean-spirited at all, but appreciated in good company. the dictionary calls us distorted, perverse :D in that the meanings we take are distorted from the original intent of the word. SWMBO is a perfect example. We don't take it as a directive, only as a reference to our significant other.

I'm guessing British humor leaves you scratching your head - but to each his own.

That's the thing. It's not funny at all. It's not wry. It's dork humor.

There's nothing subtle or difficult to get about it. The Office (UK) and Extras are two of my favorite shows of all time. This isn't subtle at all, it's lame.

Keep using it, if you want, but it isn't funny.

Latest posts

Back