what type of air tank is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlytimes

Reaction score
I have the option to get 2 of these "air tanks" for $25.
airtanks.jpg

Are these oxygen tanks?

The valve doesn't look the same as my CO2 tank. are they easily converted to CO2?

Is this a potential score, or a waste of $25?

thanks

If they're scuba tanks then they'd hold oxygen which would be great for oxygenation. If they work/are usable I'd buy one if I were you. Though I'm not sure what kind of tank they are.

Those symbols look familiar. Aren't they fire suppressant tanks? The kind that usually are up on posts above gas pumps in filling stations? I swear that down arrow symbol is on them.

They are steel scba tanks. We use them for our air supply at fires. They fall under the same standard as any stel compressed gas tank. They are either 3000 psi or 4500 psi. You would need to read the tank markings to tell

They are steel scba tanks. We use them for our air supply at fires. They fall under the same standard as any stel compressed gas tank. They are either 3000 psi or 4500 psi. You would need to read the tank markings to tell

ding ding ding. There we go.

They will need an scba regulator to use CGA-347 threading. It is possible to adapt a regulator to CGA fitting, but you either need a fitting to go from say CGA320(co2) to CGA 347 or you need to replace the cga stem and cga nut.

You will ONLY be able to have this filled with compressed air.

For our purposes, there isn't much use in these.

ding ding ding. There we go.

They will need an scba regulator to use CGA-347 threading. It is possible to adapt a regulator to CGA fitting, but you either need a fitting to go from say CGA320(co2) to CGA 347 or you need to replace the cga stem and cga nut.

You will ONLY be able to have this filled with compressed air.

For our purposes, there isn't much use in these.

thank you. I now have $25 that I would have wasted to now spend on something useful!
:ban:

Last edited by a moderator:
Being that these are expensive SCBA tanks, you need to find out why they are being sold. If they failed their hydrostatic test then they are not good for anything. Even if they pass, there is nothing that they are good for except SCBA unless you change the valve. I don't know if that is possible.

Latest posts

Back