Help about whiskey pls!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go Gators

Reaction score
I have found a bottle of whiskey that I would love to have some information about if anyone can help. It is an Old Mr. Boston Brand Rocking Chair Deluxe Label Blended Whiskey. It is eighty proof (stated on the neck). It is not a mini bottle, but not a handle.

I tried to do some searches for information but could only find empty bottles for sale. Wiki was no help. Just wondering if this stuff is drinkable and if so, is it any good? It still has the paper seal on the top and has not been opened.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Not sure if this is the right place for this, but didn't want anyone PO'ed if I put it in the wrong place. Cheers :rockin::tank:

EDIT: And I have no idea what year it is from. Thanks again!!

year should not matter. if its unopened it wont be contaminated with anything. as for nastys and stuff getting in there, the alc. will kill anything in it. i would say its good to go.

EDIT. unless its prohibition stuff, then it might not be so good.. lol but i would say.. if its really old, it might be worth to just hand on too and not drink.

On Wikipedia.

Sounds like you have an old bottle and can be as old as the mid to late thirties (since that's when the distillery started, but logically, I doubt you are lucky enough to get one that's so old). But looking at Wikipedia it looks like after 1995, and after the company changed hands a few times, they began making rum exclusively, so your bottle may be at least 15-16 years old if I'm reading the resources correctly.

Check the bottom of the bottle for numbers/letter combinations like "R174 and 54-6". Let us know if you have anything as that would give us a date or year that they made the bottle. Not necessarily when whiskey was added into it, but when the glass bottle was produced. The whiskey would be added to the bottles no more than a year or two after.

If I were you I would enjoy it on an important night with people who would appreciate drinking whiskey that's potentially 10-50 or so years old. Or, light up a Cohiba or Gurkha, and enjoy a glass on a summer evening by yourself.

The whiskey won't change flavor much as long as it hasn't previously been opened. However the taste won't improve since flavor profile only depends on how long it stays in the barrel cask.

If it has a label somewhere that says something like "The Federal Government strictly forbids..." then you know it was made in the post prohibition era until 1960 or so when they removed the government warning that warned agains reselling or something like that.

So all in all.... An unopened bottle of whiskey will last until the bottle is empty :)

Thank you guys for the responses!!! The bottom of the bottle reads as such - First line: L-92540A; Second line: 9 ::anchor symbol:: 76 (Year?); Third line: 3

As for labels, there is VERY little written on it. Back says:
"Blended Whiskey
20% straight whiskies
4 years old
20% Whiskies
4 years old
60% Grain Neutral Spirits."

That is the entire back label.

I might add that this bottle came from a woman's home that my grandparents looked after. This was around 2004-05 when she passed away at the age of 90? From what I understand, my grandparents never saw her drinking. So I honestly have no idea how old it COULD be.

Yup, you have a 35 year old bottle of whiskey on your hands, enjoy, or put it on a shelf somewhere. The distillery was located on Massachusetts Ave in Boston, Mass. It's a long road that runs through multiple towns, but it's the same road where Paul Revere rode a portion of his famous ride on. MIT is also on Mass Ave. As well as Harvard and Cambridge City Hall.

The 76 refers to the year, so it was bottled in or around that year. Hopefully what I gave you was what you needed. Since it doesn't have the "Federal Law Forbids blah blah blah..." on it then you know it was bottled after the mid sixties.

That bottle was made before I was born. I'd love to enjoy that find.

Thanks gregger!! You have been very helpful. I thought I read on wiki somewhere about a month ago that the 70's they made whiskey that was 'semi-toxic' tasting. lol. I now have to convince my dad to open the darn thing to see if it is any good. My grandparents gave it to him and he doesn't drink liquor.

Back