Question about full boil (Midwest Oatmeal Stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogFace_Brewing

Reaction score
OK so I have finished my 2nd batch of Coopers Kit brewing and now am moving on to another extract kit and have a quick question.

The kit I am going to brew next is the Midwest Oatmeal Stout extract kit. I have read through the directions on the kit and it state that if you can use a larger boil for steeping the grain to do so for better taste. Now I only have been brewing on a glass stove top with a 8 quart pot which is the largest I have right now, so I am thinking of picking up a 30 quart pot and burner to use for full boils in the future when I go partial and then AG.

My question is this: Is it wise to do a full boil with a extract kit such as the one I just mentioned above? Will I see a big difference in my final product buy doing a 5 gallon boil on a extract kit or am I just wasting money on a new pot and burner at this time? I am unable to do the partial mash since I do not have a mash bin (Space is limited). Should I just buy a 24 quart pot and keep brewing on the glass stovetop until I move on to partial?

If the answer is yes to doing the full boil on in the 30 quart pot and burner, will I have to change anything while boiling the hops (1 oz Fuggle bittering hops)

Oatmeal stout is my FAVORITE beer and I really want to make this one the best way I can, so a little nervous on screwing it up.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Most kits have you do 2.5 gallon boils, then top off the primary to 5 gallons total. If you were to do a full 5 gallon boil, you won't need to adjust your ingredients at all since the original recipe was for 5 gallons.

In my experience with the 4 extract brews I have under my belt, I've only done 5 gallon boils & had great results. The general concensus is that doing full boils as opposed to partial improves flavor & hop utilization...overall a much better final product. I've never done 2.5 gallon boils, so I couldn't give you any first hand comparisions.

Also, if you do a full boil, you'll need to boil around 6 gallons to compensate for around 1 gallon boil-off. I've done 5 gallon boils on my glass stovetop with the lid on to keep the boil going with fine results...however, if doing all-grain or PMs, you want to leave the lid off because the steam releases some nasties that can cause off-flavors...not as big a deal when using extract though, probably because the extract is made by going thru a boiling phase already.

I have read through the directions on the kit and it state that if you can use a larger boil for steeping the grain to do so for better taste.

Actually the opposite is true. People around here often say "Steep Small, Boil Big"

This may help:
http://***********/stories/techniques/article/indices/30-extract-brewing/964-kick-up-your-kit

I don't think upgrading your pot and getting a burner is a waste at all. Most brewers go that route eventually. One of the main reasons people advocate doing a full boil is to get better hop utilization, although that's a hotly contested subject right now.

I'm not too familiar with Coopers kits but like CTown said I don't think you would change anything for doing a full boil. One thing to keep in mind is that if you go full boil, you'll want to buy a wort chiller also. It will take forever to chill 5 gallons of hot wort with an ice bath.

If you can afford the pot, burner, and chiller, then go for it. Otherwise, stick to partial boils. Are you really using a 2 gallon pot though? How much wort are you boiling? If anything I would buy the larger pot and do a larger partial boil.

Billy: Yah I have only been doing the coopers kits which require 1 gallon of boiled water and then topped off with water straight in the primary. This is why the 2 gallon pot has been working just fine. It is a really easy kit and the outcome has been very good. Only issue is they do not have a oatmeal stout which I MUST have in the house :O).

I think going with a 4 gallon pot and doing a 3 gallon partial boil and then topping off might be a good idea until i get a wort chiller and make some more room for other equipment.

Thanks for you help guys it is appreciated! :mug:

I've seen a bunch of different opinions on the specialty grain steeping issue. A lot of people like to steep at a rate of 1 quart per lb grain (don't quote me on that though). I've always steeped my grain for 30 minutes in all 5 gallons. If doing a partial mash for longer than that, you'll want to stick to the smaller volume of water.

+1 on getting a wort chiller for a full boil. It's high on my wish list right now. It takes me about 45 minutes in a cold water/ice bath to cool my wort to 80 F.

I've seen a bunch of different opinions on the specialty grain steeping issue. A lot of people like to steep at a rate of 1 quart per lb grain (don't quote me on that though). I've always steeped my grain for 30 minutes in all 5 gallons.

To be honest I'm not sold on steeping small. I've done both and have never noticed a flavor difference.

Latest posts

Back