What does a 90 minute boil do that a 60 minute one doesn't?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
Besides losing more moisture, what happens in a 90 minute boil that won't happen in a 60? Is it completely necessary to boil the full 90 minutes?

extracts 1/3 more IBU's from the hops that were pitched at 90 .. if you are copying a recipe I would stick with the 90 min. The longer the hops boil the more bitterness they contribute to the finished beer. You could just pitch more hops at 60 min and make a similar beer though.

do you have a link to the recipe ? Is it just wanting you to boil plain water for 30 min before adding anything? I cant think of any reason to do that.

thrstyunderwater said:
The recipe has me boil for the first 30 minutes without hops. Should/can I obit this first 30 min?
Does the recipe contain pilsner malt? Sometimes a longer boil, without a longer hop schedule, is recommended to remove excess DMS from the wort.

I have no experience with canned pumpkin. But, it appears that the pumpkin is the reason that the 90 minute boil is required.

I had a theory, but this IPA has prevented me from putting it into coherent words and I lost my train of thought. Beer 1, Me 0

90 minute boils give you time enough to clean the mash tun and catch a quick nap on the couch with the dog in my experience.

yeah, I'd stick with the 90 .. I dont know much about pumpkin either but I would just assume whoever made the recipe does ..

longer boil removes more water and concentrates your wert. So you can start with a bigger grain bill+more water and reduce down to a higher OG with lower volume. Also hops bitterness is effected but you can control that by starting your hop schedule with 60 mins left if you want. Of course it will get darker as it reduces.. less water makes it less dilute.

longer boil removes more water and concentrates your wert. So you can start with a bigger grain bill+more water and reduce down to a higher OG with lower volume. Also hops bitterness is effected but you can control that by starting your hop schedule with 60 mins left if you want. Of course it will get darker as it reduces.. less water makes it less dilute.

That's what I was going to say. :) You need that 30 minutes for the reduction/concentration of the wort.

the 90 minute boil helps cut out some bitterness of the pumpkin. ive done 60 and 90 on pumpkin ales. 90 is definitely better

Back