added 2 new pieces of equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucfanmike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
cd144309.jpg

finally cut the top on my keg and also built a hop bag strainer. Gotta cut my other keg soon and then work on my brew area to eliminate some of the manual carrying of wort/water. But at least boilovers are a thing of the past, 6.5 gallons preboil in a 7.5 gallon turkey cooker was tricky.

Mike in Duluth

It is not "necessary." They are both very good additions to any home-brewery. If you have one keggle, then you'll probably have three one day. If you have three keggles then you'll probably get a pump. If you have a pump then you need a hop strainer so you don't clog your pump when you pump your wort out of your keggle.

When I started brewing, I used two buckets (With blankets for insulation) for a MLT, and one large canner pot for my HLT and BK. It's the only equipment you need that's "necessary." But if you start doing 10 gallon batches, or you want to eliminate boilovers, or just wanna expand your brewery; those are two outstanding additions.

Awesome Catt. I hope you enjoy your additions!:mug:

well since others have brought this back, ill let u guys know that I now have 2 keggles cut and plumbed. HLT with a ball valve and pickup tube, this will also get a sight glass in the future. The second is the BK with a home made false bottom (slotted sanke top from my cut), ball valve and dip tube.

And to baystatebrew, no it isnt necessary, but pellet hops make such a sludgy mess that i was hoping to contain some of that. I wanted a center dip tube so i didnt leave so much behind and this way i can almost completely drain the bk without getting all that in the fermenter.

Mike in Duluth

oh ok. i was just researching keggles as i'm interested in thinking about setting one up myself. this makes much more sense to me now that i've thought about it and seen this explained. thanks guys

It is not "necessary." They are both very good additions to any home-brewery. If you have one keggle, then you'll probably have three one day. If you have three keggles then you'll probably get a pump. If you have a pump then you need a hop strainer so you don't clog your pump when you pump your wort out of your keggle.

When I started brewing, I used two buckets (With blankets for insulation) for a MLT, and one large canner pot for my HLT and BK. It's the only equipment you need that's "necessary." But if you start doing 10 gallon batches, or you want to eliminate boilovers, or just wanna expand your brewery; those are two outstanding additions.

Awesome Catt. I hope you enjoy your additions!:mug:

Dude, you're not making a whole lot of sense here. No one said anything was "necessary" but you from what I can see. The equipment options when brewing are near limitless, so when you get down to it, the only thing that's really "necessary" is desire. :drunk:

Dude, you're not making a whole lot of sense here. No one said anything was "necessary" but you from what I can see. The equipment options when brewing are near limitless, so when you get down to it, the only thing that's really "necessary" is desire. :drunk:

What you just said is what I was implying.

Back