Leinie's Sunset Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernie Brewer

Grouchy Old Fart
Reaction score
So my brother's in town over Easter and I stop to pick up some beer on my way to my mother's house to visit. I figure, well he likes Leinenkugel products so I pick up some Red and then I see the Sunset Wheat. I grabbed some of that too to give it a try. I get over to my mom's and we were discussing wheat beers. I say that I like most of them but I hate it when a bartender wrecks my beer by putting a lemon or lime in it (I always tell them to hold the salad bar.) So I crack one open, pour it, smell it, taste it.

BLECHHHHH!!!!!!!! They've already got the lemon/lime in it!!!!:mad: I took two swallows and dumped the rest. It's got to be the first beer that I've really truly hated, even including macrobrews. Yuck. Anyone else try this stuff???

LOL...we had it when we toured the Leinie's brewery a few weeks back. it hadn't even hit stores yet but it was on tap at teh lodge.

My wife loved it. I didn't care for it, it had that fake extract orange flavor. Yechh.

Digging up an old thread, but I tried this stuff for the first time last night. Yuck. It seriously tasted like Fruity Pebbles

Agreed....the most part I think Leinie's beers range from decent to good. But the Sunset Wheat is terrible. Last April when it hit the stores, I picked up a 6er to bring to a buddy's place to watch the NFL draft. 3 of us each had a bottle, as of this fall the other 3 were still in the back of the fridge. That style of beer isn't my favorite anyway, but I've at least had some of that style that I thought were well done and still enjoyed.

Funny you should mention this tonight. Last night, a friend, who likes my homebrews, was drinking Sunset Wheat all evening. I gave him a lot of teasing about drinking these "girlie-man beers". We went somewhere else and they didn't have Sunset Wheat. So he started drinking Blue Moon, complete with an orange. I told him that he is longer worthy to drink any of my homebrews, if he's drinking sissy beer. He pointed to my Guiness and called me a beer snob.

That's the first time I've been called a beer snob. I have ARRIVED!!:ban:

Lorena

Isn't this the beer that won gold for spiced beer at the GABF? One of the big sellers for lienies, at least at my store. If you go to the bar they have a slice of orange molded on the tap haddle. Bad beer, this coming from a guy that likes berry weiss(on tap). I think they were going straight at Blue Moon orange and all.

I finally tied this beer and at first I liked it and it's blueberry muffin taste (too me at least), but by the time I got half of it gone I was more then done with it and probably wont drink another. If I had to choose between that and a High Life . . . pass me a High Life instead please

Back