Cherry Wood Smoked Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihelix

Reaction score
Any brewers out there brewed/brewing with the Briess Cherry Wood Smoked Malt?

I am brewing this tomorrow evening; I have not tried the Cherry Wood Smoked Malt before, but the Charlie Papazian article discussing this malt in Zymurgy caught my eye.

Not sure how my ratios will work out, I am hoping none of the flavors are too dominant and they can work together: malt, chocolate, smoke and hops.

5 gallon brew:
12lb Maris Otter
2lb Briess Smoked Malt (Cherry Wood)
1.75lb Chocolate Malt
.75lb Crystal 80
2oz Pearle (90min)
1oz Mt. Hood (15min)
SafAle US-05

Mashing at 154

I'd never even heard of that before. The recipe looks good. How strong is the smoke supposed to be in that malt? I know peat smoked malt becomes overwhelming at very small amounts while rauchmalt is only slightly noticeable until it becomes a large part of the grain bill. I'd imagine this is more like the beechwood smoked rauchmalt. Let us know how it comes out!

It's a wonderful malt, and not too strong a smoke flavor. It's a sweeter smoke than rauch or peat, and maybe just a hair stronger than rauch in intensity.

With your recipe, I'd expect a good hint of sweet smoke, but not enough that a non-beer snob would notice it without a hint -- keep in mind my low opinion of the tasting abilities of non-beer snobs. A homebrewer will instantly taste the smoke, but even people who don't like smoke shouldn't be put off by it. Sounds good!

I just brewed a smoked porter. I used 5 lbs of rauch malt in 12 gallons (post boil), about 20% of the grist (you're at 13%). I don't think it has enough smoke character. Next time around I'm going to try 30%.

I think you're going to get a pretty subtle smoke character. If that's what you want, go for it.

Disclaimer: This assumes the Briess smoked malt is similar in smoke character to the Weyermann beechwood smoked malt. I haven't used the Briess malt.

Disclaimer: This assumes the Briess smoked malt is similar in smoke character to the Weyermann beechwood smoked malt. I haven't used the Briess malt.

This is cherrywood not beechwood, so it's very different.. But yes, it'll be subtle. I was under the impression that was the goal. I wouldn't call this a smoked porter myself, but it'll have hints of smoke. If you want smoke to dominate, I'd go 35%+ smoke. But I like smoke, and I enjoy a 100% rauchmalt beer from time to time...

During the mash, the smoke aroma was quite evident...now during the boil, the smokiness has been subdued. Of course, I have been smoking an Indian Tabac cigar during the boil and the smokey aroma may be overpowered.

Will posts results in a month or so.

If I die beside my brewpot with homebrew in hand...I shall die a happy man. I hope someone moves me away from the burner though.

This is cherrywood not beechwood, so it's very different.. But yes, it'll be subtle. I was under the impression that was the goal. I wouldn't call this a smoked porter myself, but it'll have hints of smoke. If you want smoke to dominate, I'd go 35%+ smoke. But I like smoke, and I enjoy a 100% rauchmalt beer from time to time...

My beer is still in the fermenter. I want to wait until it's cold and carbed before I make any final decisions on where I want to go with the smoke level, but the gravity samples are telling me it's not quite where I want it. I love smoke, too, but I'm not sure I want it to dominate. I want it to be on par with the other flavors.

Used that same smoked malt about two months ago now and beer smells great overshot the og so I am holding it back in the carboy for a while.

I noticed this new malt at my LHBS yesterday but didn't do so until I was resealing the rauchmalt grain bag after weighing it out and mixing with my other grains - I would love to have tried this in my smoked porter instead.

BTW...Briess recommends limiting the usage to 60% of the grist so I think it's a bit smokier than rauchmalt but much less so than peated malt.

I picked up 5# yesterday. Wow, this is totally different than the Weyermann Beechwood Smoked. It is really food-like, smoked sausage/bacon. I'd be careful with this, much sweeter aroma than the normal smoked. I don't think this would make a good rauch, but might enhance a complex porter nicely.

Back