Help! The welder didn't do what I wanted!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skrimpy

Reaction score
Really nice guy, but kinda didn't listen to me. I wanted the couplers to go through the keg so I could screw nipples into the inside to put syphons inside each of them. He welded them to the outside so now I have the problem that when I want them empty I have to tip them. Does anyone know of anything with some kind of silicone seal I can put on the end of a syphon? Or am I gonna have to cough up another 100 bucks to fix the problem?

The way I see it is if you paid for it and it wasnt done correctly I would make him fix his mistake.

Why not take it back and have him fix it? If you are not comfortable doing that you could use a grinding attachment for a drill to clean up the hole.

Yes, first off you should have looked at it and not paid since he didn't do what you asked.
but since its too late take it back and tell him and he may fix it. The guy that welded my kegs didn;t exactly do what I asked and I called him about it and he drove to my house picked the kegs up, fixed them properly, and delivered them the next day. No charge besides the original $25 per weld.

I looked at it and knew exactly what he did when I was there. I figured I was getting such a good price that I wouldn't complain to him. Plus he is the only guy in the area that I could find that would weld stainless as thin as a keg and he is over an hour away. He did one of the four with access to the threads on the inside so my thinking is he thought I wanted just one. On top of all this he is 75 years old and a super, super nice guy. I'm not going to go back at him. Thanks for the help, I went and got attachments for my dremmel just like you guys said. It seems his MO is to cut the couples in half but mine don't seem to be cut so maybe if I open the holes a little I will be good to go. We will see.

Run a drill thru the couplings without taking out the threads then run a tap thru to cut threads into the keg wall. Or just drill then grind out the kegs wall for clearance to get the pick up pipe threaded into the coupling. This is one of many reasons why I under cut the OD of the couplings for a snug slip fit into the keg hole then weld the outside. Flap wheel sand the coupling flush inside then fuse weld without filler the joint crack on the inside. This way there are no cracks for nasty little bugs to grow at the coupling joint from the inside. Couplings used for temp probes the threads are drilled out preventing them from collecting crap and little bugs, just leave enough threads for the probes threads.

No pics...yet. The digital camera is dead. The couplers are welded to the outside and the holes are smaller than the inside diameter of the couples. I've got no welding equipment and no welding skills so putting in a nipple and welding to take up the space where bugs could hide is out of the question. In fact, I'm not too worried about that because the kettle is going to sterilize every time I boil. Even in those little places where the bugs can hide should come up to a temp high enough to kill them. I'm gonna go with grinding down the holes for now. Hopefully, I don't hit the threads. Thanks for all the suggestions. They are greatly appreciated!

Back