I am breathing easier now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caver95

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the V.A. and after about 8 months they cut me a check, I am in college and I am very much opposed to student loans. The good or bad thing my very first thought after my tuition is coverd was I now have a couple extra bucks to do a batch. I think I will do a brown ale.

I just got off the phone with the V.A. and after about 8 months they cut me a check, I am in college and I am very much opposed to student loans. The good or bad thing my very first thought after my tuition is coverd was I now have a couple extra bucks to do a batch. I think I will do a brown ale.

I think I will do a brown Ale too, in your Honor.

I don't see it being a big deal, it's a very cheap interest rate and unless you have rich parents, there's no other way to go to an accredited university.

I am doing it. I dont get any money from parents or family. There is a lot of money out there Pell grant and I get one other that might get cut by the state this year, but I have 2 semesters left to pay for after the V.A. money arrives. Also I work 3 jobs, it will be really nice to finish school and have no school debt. I buy used books online sometimes go with the older edition if I can find a friend that will let me copy the questions needed out of the newer one.

Bravo caver! You should stand as a shining example to the graduates who start off their careers with crushing amounts of debt. Jut out of curiosity, what are you majoring in? Regards, GF.

I am doing business admin. I have been selling real estate for the past few years, and figured it was a good time to finish. If the economy is in the same state I will keep on going and earn a MBA.

Maybe start a program to teach future students how to pay for school without going into debt up to their eyeballs; for a modest fee of course! :)

Maybe start a program to teach future students how to pay for school without going into debt up to their eyeballs; for a modest fee of course! :)

I would like to do that, well at least how to manage finances period, I am trying to start a class at my church but it is on the bottom of the list for a while. Its a shame people dont really have a grasp of debt and how to properly use it, for me that is so sparingly. Only things that make more than the interest, aside from my sailboat(anyone want a good deal on the 33 morgan Out Island?)
Maybe I can get a book deal, How to live without debt. And no, college grad that just got a 50k a year job, you dont need a new 45k car to show off.
I am trying to refi a girl, and she doesnt get that having a $400 a month car payment is a bad idea when you make $30k. Its a shame congress does not understand it either.
A little interest little fact I read the other day, in the 1990s
"29 members had been accused of spousal abuse
7 had been arrested for fruad
19 had written bad checks
117 had bankrupted at least 2 businesses
3 arrested for assault
71 could not quailify for a credit card
14 arrested on drug related charges
8 were arrested for shoplifting(really)
and in 1998 84 were stopped for drunk driving but released after claiming immunity."pXX Serio, Investigating the Russian Mafia

Not to mention the A#$holes that got bail out money and handed out bonuses, million dollar renovations to the office, and $87k oriental rugs( think about the guy that made 80K and got laid off) Should be indicted for stealing our money. and congress needs to be flushed.
Rant over.

I got my brown ale. A Newcastle clone in about 30 minutes it will be warm enough to go outsibe in flipflops and I will brew away.

Most students wouldn't be in a position to pay but hey, you could provide them with a loan to pay for it. At favourable rates obviously. ;)

would you like a student loan anticipation loan, I will give you a good rate*?

*35%annualy compounded continuously ammortised at 30 years with a ballon in 5 years and a $150 per thousand per payment penilty.

I would like to do that, well at least how to manage finances period, I am trying to start a class at my church but it is on the bottom of the list for a while. Its a shame people dont really have a grasp of debt and how to properly use it. Maybe I can get a book deal, How to live without debt.

Well, if you have access to a video camera, tripod & mic; and maybe a friend who knows how to operate them, you could make a dvd all about it. Remember that guy who sold the program on how to succeed in real estate back in the 90's? Something along those lines. It doesn't have to be fancy, you could use a lot of graphics & some analogies so that any fool can understand.

Build a website to promote & sell the DVD, buy some cheap airtime on TV & radio. A lot of smaller market stations will either cut a spot for free if you buy X amount of time, or at least give you low rates due to it being a smaller market. With minimal capital, you should be able to start turning a meager profit & if managed well, it could turn into a substantial profit. It seems to me that especially in today's economy, people would be willing to spend a few bucks now to save a LOT of bucks later on. It's just an idea. Regards, GF.

Well, if you have access to a video camera, tripod & mic; and maybe a friend who knows how to operate them, you could make a dvd all about it. Remember that guy who sold the program on how to succeed in real estate back in the 90's? Something along those lines. It doesn't have to be fancy, you could use a lot of graphics & some analogies so that any fool can understand.

Build a website to promote & sell the DVD, buy some cheap airtime on TV & radio. A lot of smaller market stations will either cut a spot for free if you buy X amount of time, or at least give you low rates due to it being a smaller market. With minimal capital, you should be able to start turning a meager profit & if managed well, it could turn into a substantial profit. It seems to me that especially in today's economy, people would be willing to spend a few bucks now to save a LOT of bucks later on. It's just an idea. Regards, GF.

Gratus, Thanks I have not really tought of that, but you just planted a seed. I helped some guys working on their thesis at the Film school wiht an underwater shot. maybe I can talk one of them into doing the production.
step 1 idea
step 2 production
step 4 profits.

I don't know, i think i have to disagree. Anymore it's not realistic to go through life without needing a loan at some point. Student loan, house loan etc. The thing about student loans is that they are easy to live with. You can deduct the interest off your taxes, the interest is low, don't have to repay immediately.

The danger from debt comes from things like credit cards and such, not student loans. Yes, you could potentially have hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans, but the idea is that when the loan comes due, you have put yourself into position to repay them. The loan is an investment in your education and future. It's not like you are buying a new TV on a credit card.

I kind of agree with Donner... if you can swing college without any debt by being smart and practical about it, fantastic and that's obviously better than having a ton of debt but on the flip side, a very large percetnage of kids can't shell out college funds or aren't getting VA checks so college loans are their only choice.

My wife and I both came out of school and decent sized chunks of debt but becasue we went to "good schools", worked hard while in school, got decent jobs and were smart about our money after college, we were able to pay off our loans without it being a big deal.

Would we rather have that cash in-hand? yeah, obviously but we wouldn't have the jobs we have now unless we had invested in our futures the way we did.

With anything (yes, even with credit cards) using them in moderation and intelligently is the important thing. My wife and I (I think) were smart about our college educations but that's not to say the guy who's going into debt for 7 years trying to get a 4 year degree at Florida State while he basically majors in bong-hits and surfing is doing the smart thing.

I can't understand why you are against debt. Why wouldn't you want to owe someone money and put your assets at risk instead of being able to pay for it yourself. I thought the deeper in dept you are the more successful and secure you are :cross:

I can't say that I am majoring in Bong hits, but that could be a cool major given the new administration.

That was one reason I went into the military, I got money for being deployed for the Global war on terror, If I didnt have a wife that was so far to the left she would shoot me if I joined the coast guard( they never go anywhere unless you really want to) They pay for school. when I have children if the wish to join the military I will support them. buying a house is one thing, school is another, I go to a smaller private college, Flagler, FSU budgeted $2-5 million for landscaping last year. TK the pres of FSU makes a great living(not that he does not deserve it.) but the spend a lot of money in the wrong areas and have very high prices that go a long with it. I have a cousin that is going to worthton( his family is loaded). When I go after another degree I might look at a larger named school, but I feel I can get a great education from a state school and not pay for it for the rest of my life. I am looking at UW Madison(wife is from there and wants to move back) the grad program there was ranked in the top 10 and if $5500 at year for instate and If I work I can more than afford to do it without financing it.
But I guess to each his own.

:tank:
Whats even better is I am paying for beers I drank years ago. talk about pissing money away.

I can't understand why you are against debt. Why wouldn't you want to owe someone money and put your assets at risk instead of being able to pay for it yourself. I thought the deeper in dept you are the more successful and secure you are :cross:

As far as tax concerns I would rather give the money to a worthy cause and write it off than it to pay debt( that is not making me more money), I hope I have those issues in the future. where I need the write offs.

:tank:
Whats even better is I am paying for beers I drank years ago. talk about pissing money away.

As far as tax concerns I would rather give the money to a worthy cause and write it off than it to pay debt( that is not making me more money), I hope I have those issues in the future. where I need the write offs.

You do know my comment was made in fun, right?

Back