Saison Boulevard Smokestack Series Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Schumed said:
my final gravity was 1.016....mine needed to dry out more to be a closer clone...like 1.006 what would be the extra ABV... I've had more people say mine taste closer to Chainbreaker White IPA which I would agree...both are great beers

Ahh, got it. Makes sense, thanks for quick reply. Yeah 1.006 would get it closer to advertised 8.5 ABV if not exceed. Will see where the 3726 takes me.

Good to know, I would be very content with something like a Chainbreaker too! Very good beer.

If you don't get where you want on fg then add some wy3711, it will take it down to the low single digits.

Is there a reason not to use 3711 from the start?

None at all, 3711 is going to finish very dry and a little peppery but not a lot of other flavor contribution. It's not a ton of Belgian flavor in my opinion. 3724 is going to be very very tart and more like Saison Dupont, since it is the Dupont strain. It will not finish as dry and will have a pretty complex profile but tartness is dominant. 3726 is a special seasonal one, I'm not sure but I think it is a blend of a couple different yeast. I haven't had the chance to use it yet, but I have read that it is kind of a blend between 3724 and 3711.

None at all, 3711 is going to finish very dry and a little peppery but not a lot of other flavor contribution. It's not a ton of Belgian flavor in my opinion. 3724 is going to be very very tart and more like Saison Dupont, since it is the Dupont strain. It will not finish as dry and will have a pretty complex profile but tartness is dominant. 3726 is a special seasonal one, I'm not sure but I think it is a blend of a couple different yeast. I haven't had the chance to use it yet, but I have read that it is kind of a blend between 3724 and 3711.

I think boulevard uses something similar to wyeast 3787. I don't think it's a true saison yeast.

Just tried Tank 7 just the other day and loved it! I've used the Farmhouse yeast before, just once, and it was on a gruit. Does the yeast lend itself to any sourness? The gruit came off very sour, but I think high fermentation temps may have contributed more to that than anything else.

It is a yeast I want to stock more of. I'll be interested to try this recipe in somewhat of an altered form.

Two years ago the brewmaster at Blvd. told me that they use the same yeast on all their Belgians. Differences in taste are due to the different fermenting temps.

Thanks,
GTG

Yes, and I think that yeast is close to 3787. I have tried Nommo, Long Strange Tripel, Sixth Glass, Tank 7, Zon, Reboot, Saison Brett. And to achieve the scope of flavors requires a yeast that can deliver across the board. Thus it cannot be a singular saison yeast.

fatboy34 said:
Ahh, got it. Makes sense, thanks for quick reply. Yeah 1.006 would get it closer to advertised 8.5 ABV if not exceed. Will see where the 3726 takes me. Good to know, I would be very content with something like a Chainbreaker too! Very good beer.

Well, 13 days in primary and it's at 1.022. I measured at 8 days and it was also at 1.022. Temps were in upper 70s, and touched low 80 up to day 8 or so. Fallen to upper 60s now.

Do I go buy a 3711 pack and pitch it? Or do I warm it back up and wait a week or two?

Brewing this up for the 3rd time

Going to ferment with this ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389474668.455125.jpg

And see what happens

fatboy34 said:
Well, 13 days in primary and it's at 1.022. I measured at 8 days and it was also at 1.022. Temps were in upper 70s, and touched low 80 up to day 8 or so. Fallen to upper 60s now. Do I go buy a 3711 pack and pitch it? Or do I warm it back up and wait a week or two?

I wait it out and warm it up. Took it to 80 and it has dropped to 1.015 and looks like it's still going. Will give it some more time.

I read all the available threads and information to put together a recipe to attempt to recreate tank 7. This is one of my favorite beers and I usually buy it a couple of times a week. I brewed a test 5 gallon batch and have since inserted this recipe into my pipeline. I believe the yeast and Amarillo and the corn are the two most important elements of this beer. I used the white labs Belgian style ale blend as it is a combination of trappist and Belgian strains. dry hopping for 4 days with Amarillo contributed the tropical notes that are so important to this beer. The corn is what I believe adds the mouthfeel and color. I feel like the real tank 7 is a little dryer and am working on raising my fermentation temps towards the end of the week to dry the beer out a touch. If you like tank 7, this is a no risk 90% accurate recreation.

Type: All Grain
Date: 2/18/2013
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Ben Bradford
Boil Size: 6.20 gal Asst Brewer: Ben Bradford
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: 6 Gallon Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00
Taste Notes: Really close to Tank 7. Now think of this beer as more of a Belgian American IPA vs. a farmhouse

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
11 lbs 10.7 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 79.14 %
1 lbs 10.7 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 11.31 %
14.3 oz Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.05 %
8.3 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 3.50 %
0.54 oz Simcoe [10.50 %] (90 min) Hops 19.2 IBU
1.33 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 2 days) Hops -
0.58 oz Simcoe [10.50 %] (20 min) Hops 11.7 IBU
1.16 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
0.21 items Campden Tablet (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.83 tsp Lactic Acid (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.83 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
4.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
4.17 items Fermcap (Bottling 5.0 min) Misc
6.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Style Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #WLP575) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.068 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG

Mash Profile

Single Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Step Add 2.81 gal of water at 165.1 F 144.0 F
15 min Step Add 1.03 gal of water at 189.8 F 154.0 F
15 min Step Add 1.48 gal of water at 196.2 F 164.0 F
10 min Step Add 1.77 gal of water at 182.0 F 168.0 F

Notes-these are quotes from other sources

Boulevard's Website states they use Simcoe, Magnum, and Amarillo.
I used other citrus/floral hops because that's what I had in my refrigerator.
It has also been suggested to increase the % of corn and reduce the percentage of Wheat in the grain bill

Alternate Option for Yeast - French Saison

Hops suggestions (taken from Head Brewmaster at Boulevard) -

Bitter - Magnum
Flavor - Touch of Simcoe
Finish - Amarillo
Dry Hop - 1 ounce Amarillo
I was at Boulevard recently for an event and I thought I would take a minute to inquire about one of our favorite beers, Tank 7. Here is what I got from Steven Pauwels:
GRAIN BILL
70% Pale Malt
20% corn
10% Wheat malt

MASH SCHEDULE
45@ 62 C°
15@ 68
15@ 73
Mashout @ 76

FERMENTATION
temp:70

DRY HOP w/
Example given: 15 gallon = 1/4lb amarillo

YEAST
Belgian Yeast (recommended abbey & trappist)

I read all the available threads and information to put together a recipe to attempt to recreate tank 7. This is one of my favorite beers and I usually buy it a couple of times a week. I brewed a test 5 gallon batch and have since inserted this recipe into my pipeline. I believe the yeast and Amarillo and the corn are the two most important elements of this beer. I used the white labs Belgian style ale blend as it is a combination of trappist and Belgian strains. dry hopping for 4 days with Amarillo contributed the tropical notes that are so important to this beer. The corn is what I believe adds the mouthfeel and color. I feel like the real tank 7 is a little dryer and am working on raising my fermentation temps towards the end of the week to dry the beer out a touch. If you like tank 7, this is a no risk 90% accurate recreation.

Taste Notes: Really close to Tank 7. Now think of this beer as more of a Belgian American IPA vs. a farmhouse

Ingredients

Beer Profile

Mash Profile

It has also been suggested to increase the % of corn and reduce the percentage of Wheat in the grain bill

Bitter - Magnum
Flavor - Touch of Simcoe
Finish - Amarillo
I was at Boulevard recently for an event and I thought I would take a minute to inquire about one of our favorite beers, Tank 7. Here is what I got from Steven Pauwels:
GRAIN BILL
70% Pale Malt
20% corn
10% Wheat malt

MASH SCHEDULE
45@ 62 C°
15@ 68
15@ 73
Mashout @ 76

FERMENTATION

DRY HOP w/

YEAST

Thank you. That's extremely helpful and the photo is great. I'm going to scale this up to 7 gallons and give it a whirl.

Mash Profile

One question about this. Is that your total water volume?

Are you not doing any sort of batch or fly sparge here?

Thanks.

Just got back from the boulevard tour and ran into Steven Pauwels in the tasting room. I asked him about the difference between the Saison-Brett and Tank 7. Specifically, I asked why their website said they used Magnum, Bravo, and Amarillo in the Tank 7, but only Magnum and Amarillo in the Saison-Brett. After a glance of intrigue, he told me that they don't use Bravo in either and that their website was incorrect. He said the only real difference is that they do not dry hop with Amarillo in the Saison-Brett. He mentioned the Brett helps to dry out the Saison-Brett, so it has a lower FG. Also, they use Orval's culture for their Brett.

I also asked one of the tour guides about their House Belgian yeast, particularly if it was more of a saison yeast or an abbey/trappist yeast. He said he couldn't tell me for sure, but that they often pull Bubbblegum, banana, clove, and spice from their yeast. Which sounded to me that the abbey/trappist yeasts would be a better option for cloning either of them.

PS- they have a Saison on tap in their tasting room only as an experimental, and it is phenomenal. Can't wait until that comes in bottles.

Just got back from the boulevard tour and ran into Steven Pauwels in the tasting room. I asked him about the difference between the Saison-Brett and Tank 7. Specifically, I asked why their website said they used Magnum, Bravo, and Amarillo in the Tank 7, but only Magnum and Amarillo in the Saison-Brett. After a glance of intrigue, he told me that they don't use Bravo in either and that their website was incorrect. He said the only real difference is that they do not dry hop with Amarillo in the Saison-Brett. He mentioned the Brett helps to dry out the Saison-Brett, so it has a lower FG. Also, they use Orval's culture for their Brett.

I also asked one of the tour guides about their House Belgian yeast, particularly if it was more of a saison yeast or an abbey/trappist yeast. He said he couldn't tell me for sure, but that they often pull Bubbblegum, banana, clove, and spice from their yeast. Which sounded to me that the abbey/trappist yeasts would be a better option for cloning either of them.

PS- they have a Saison on tap in their tasting room only as an experimental, and it is phenomenal. Can't wait until that comes in bottles.

What was the name of the experimental saison ?

Ingredients

Beer Profile

Mash Profile

Bitter - Magnum
Flavor - Touch of Simcoe
Finish - Amarillo
GRAIN BILL
70% Pale Malt
20% corn
10% Wheat malt

MASH SCHEDULE
45@ 62 C°
15@ 68
15@ 73
Mashout @ 76

FERMENTATION

DRY HOP w/

YEAST

why the wheat malt and the flaked wheat? I would have designed it with just the malted wheat and left the flaked variety off. I'm just curious is all. Thx for all the legwork here. I finally got to try this in December and loved it. I'll be brewing some soon for the summer months.

Looking back at this, I believe that I under calculated the pale wheat and added the flaked to get up to my desired 10% wheat. Probably something to do with raising the volume that I wanted to make and not having enough pale wheat. I agree that I would probably leave it off on the next batch too. It helps with head retention, but I feel like the body of this beer is closer without it.

Ben

I'm going to be brewing a batch of my clone attempt this week. Here's what we're looking at.

this was for 5.5 gallons into the fermenter and accounting for a 65% efficiency, because I'm still learning my system.

Rahr Harrington Pale Malt 75% (13.5lbs)
Briess Flaked Maize 20% (3.5lbs )
Rahr Malted White Wheat 5%(1lbs)
rice hulls 0.5 lbs

Boil Schedule – 70 minute boil
Magnum – FWH (.5 oz of 12.6%)
2 tsp Irish moss - 15 minutes
Amarillo - 5 mins (3 oz of 8.5%)
Amarillo - Flameout (1 oz of 8.5%)
Amarillo - Dry hop (1 oz for 5 days)
Which hopefully should put me right around 45 IBU's

Still up in the air on if I'm going to use the 1214 or 3711 to ferment it.
If I go with 3711 I'll probably mash a little higher than if I go with 1214.
I'll let you all know what I go with and how it turns out!

Let the brew day commence! I'll post my actuals here too. Ended up going with 3711.

Edit:
Hit 1.078 for my pitch OG! I consider that a success considering Boulevard is 1.071... So I'm probably looking at an 8.5% beer here, assuming 80% attenuation. Potentially 9%+ if 3711 goes beast-mode and hits 85-90% attenuation...

I mashed at 148 for 90m, and batch sparged at 168 for 10. Decided to do single infusion mash as this is only my third all-grain batch. Came out a beautiful golden color. So far, the 0.5 oz of Magnum as FWH really lends a good bitterness but it fades relatively quick. The amarillo flavor and aromatics were perfect IMO. I'll keep everyone posted on fermentation.

This is the preboil wort. It got deeper after the boil and almost has an orangeish tint, but mostly deep gold.

photo1.jpg

Brewed this again 2 nights ago. Used same recipe except used 3711 this time (3426 last time). First batch of this was my favorite brew yet. 3426 batch took me from 1.074 to 1.015. Hoping this one gets a touch lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wow, no one was lying about 3711. It's a monster... 2 weeks into fermentation and it's 84% attenuated from 1.078>1.012, and it's still chugging along. Taste test today revealed a ton of tank 7 character. A little boozy, but hopefully a heavy dry hopping and some aging will mellow that out. Overall I'm impressed with the flavor profile of 3711 too, it definitely has the saison spice notes from fermenting 65-71.

3/31 update: a week later and it went from 1.012 > 1.006. 9.45% ABV and 92% attenuation!

4/7 - it's kinda boozy, not gonna lie. The hops helped to cover it a bit, but I feel it going down. Hoping some age will mellow this one out, but I'll be modifying my recipe for a bit less corn and mashing way higher next time.

4/14 - bottled after 2 weeks of dry hopping on 2 oz of Amarillo. Tasted great at bottling and some of the alcohols have toned down. The flavor is damned close on this one. Excited to see it carbed up to 3 volumes

photo1.jpg

GTG lol, i havent seen you about in a while. i had no idea you brewed, dude!
i stuck to the original recipe from the OP and i may deviate a little on the hop schedule, and amounts. other than that, if it is not a clone of t7 i wont mind. it sounds like a straightforward saison that im sure will be nice. house temps are a steady 73, i'll be able to kick it up to 85 in the near future with the stc1000 in a keezer. gotta wait till the other two brews are finished. abt 2 weeks!~ (timing.. timing is key)

I love tank 7 but still new to the home brew thing. anyone haveban extract w/steep grains recipe for this clone? would love to take a crack at this for my next brew. thanks all

This particular grain bill would be really hard to duplicate on an extract recipe. You could get wheat extract okay, but not really a flaked maize extract. You can check around and see if you can get something pre made from northern brewer or Austin homebrew supply maybe, but I don't know how close it would be. Sugar may be a workable substitute too.

I think your best option is to look up brew in a bag (BIAB) and make the jump to simplified all grain. Brew your own magazine has some good articles online about it in the last couple years and this board has some good forums too.

I love tank 7 but still new to the home brew thing. anyone haveban extract w/steep grains recipe for this clone? would love to take a crack at this for my next brew. thanks all

You cannot steep the flaked corn. It must be mashed. If you can cook noodles, you can do brew in the bag. It is no more work than extract with steeping.

You cannot steep the flaked corn. It must be mashed. If you can cook noodles, you can do brew in the bag. It is no more work than extract with steeping.

My new quote for anyone saying they can't mash grains. Thanks for this one. Off topic, but I saw brewers best has a small line of BIAB kits coming out.

so upon re-reading the info here, i mistakingly made a 2L starter for the 670 strain.. the instructions i found here and other blogs say NO starter. will this negatively affect the outcome? is it because the yeast will bloom but the brett will not, thus throwing off the balance?

in other news, it has been fermenting for only a week. it's about 76 but should self rise to 80 over the next 2 weeks. my plan is to leave it in primary for about a month. i'll check fg then.

plus, im not sure i get the use of this brett b. yeast if people are not going to let the beer sour. i was thinking of letting this primary for a month-6 weeks then bright tank it for 90 days at least.
should i just keg it after a month and enjoy it or let it sit for 6 and really enjoy it?

I was thinking of making a 6 gallon batch of this and splitting it into 2 3 gallon batches. I would pitch Belle Saison yeast into one fermenter to get something quite similar to Tank 7.

Anyone have thoughts on options for the 3 gallons? A blonde ale? A Belgian Golden Strong? Would the hops make this too fruity to do a Kolsch with?

What were your mash and ferment temps? Water profile?

EDIT: Pardon if has been asked already, did nit realize this was a 24 page thread.

I was thinking of making a 6 gallon batch of this and splitting it into 2 3 gallon batches. I would pitch Belle Saison yeast into one fermenter to get something quite similar to Tank 7.

Anyone have thoughts on options for the 3 gallons? A blonde ale? A Belgian Golden Strong? Would the hops make this too fruity to do a Kolsch with?

Probably not a great kolsch to style, but an interesting beer anyway. I like the east coast yeast kolsch yeast, but keep it low (no higher than 68f and I looked it at more like 60-64f)

Wow, no one was lying about 3711. It's a monster... 2 weeks into fermentation and it's 84% attenuated from 1.078>1.012, and it's still chugging along. Taste test today revealed a ton of tank 7 character. A little boozy, but hopefully a heavy dry hopping and some aging will mellow that out. Overall I'm impressed with the flavor profile of 3711 too, it definitely has the saison spice notes from fermenting 65-71.

3/31 update: a week later and it went from 1.012 > 1.006. 9.45% ABV and 92% attenuation!

4/7 - it's kinda boozy, not gonna lie. The hops helped to cover it a bit, but I feel it going down. Hoping some age will mellow this one out, but I'll be modifying my recipe for a bit less corn and mashing way higher next time.

4/14 - bottled after 2 weeks of dry hopping on 2 oz of Amarillo. Tasted great at bottling and some of the alcohols have toned down. The flavor is damned close on this one. Excited to see it carbed up to 3 volumes

Looking at yeasts right now for this and I was wondering if this was possibly underpitched and if you use yeast nutrients? Just concerned about the boosiness you described. Also, how is it now? Mel lowering?

Ah, sorry for not including basic info. I'll be single infusion mashing at 148. For the Belle Saison 3 gallon, I'll be pitching at 63 and then letting it do it's thing at ambient temps (~75). For the other 3 gallon fermenter, I have a fridge/temp control setup, so that's flexible.

Water for Columbia, MO according to the 2013 water report is:
Ca:84
Mg:74
Na:38
Cl:43
SO4:66
Bicarbonate:138

I've made the Tank 7 clone several times ...one thing I just recently did ...I scored some ECY20 bug country and decided to ferment the tank 7 clone with it...after letting the bugs do it's thing for a year ...might be the best of made to date

Funky Tart citrusy and sour

So good I've got a 10 gallon batch of it going

Latest posts

Back