4th Keg, Ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beermaker

The NAVY WALRUS
Reaction score
I was driving down I-10 the other dayand saw a beer keg on the inside median. I decided to wait till 6 am sunday morning on the way home from work to get it. Well, I got it, and it is a good one. A little skinned up on the bottom, but still good. It is a black insulated keg like the one I have for a mash tun in my 3 tier system. Now for the question.....What the heck can I do with it? I wanna put it in my system. I was thinking of some kind of settling tank after cooling to let all the trub settle out. Or maybe a brite tank of sorts. Any idea from yuns?

Water reservoir. Depending on your system, you could recirculate water through it with a pump and not waste water...at least get the wort and keg o' water near temperature equlibrium and then finish it off with a fresh flow of cold water from the garden hose. (I'm sort of a conservationist...) Just an idea.

WTF? Why would I wanna give it away? I gave the last 4 away I had. I was thinking of making this a big assed filter. Pump my hot wort into this filter bed, then pump it out into a primary. Pretty cool Idea huh? Now, what to use for a filter bed
?

If it wasn't insulated, I would say cut a nice wide hole in the top and use it to boil crawfish in! You could probably still do that, anyway. The trick would be finding a basket tall enough, but narrow enough, to fit down inside.

I'm planning on doing what I suggested with one of mine.

Anyone here ever boil crawfish or do any cooking in a 15.5 gallon keg?

Sound like a topic for a new thread? lol

Beermaker said:
WTF? Why would I wanna give it away? I gave the last 4 away I had. I was thinking of making this a big assed filter. Pump my hot wort into this filter bed, then pump it out into a primary. Pretty cool Idea huh? Now, what to use for a filter bed
?

i know, i have one of 'em!;)

what are you gonna use to filter it with? and that's a big mess to deal with too......
plus, if you filter, you lose a lot of the homebrew characteristics. kinda defeats the purpose to me......:rolleyes:

A bit large for a hopback, huh? The pictures I've seen are all like, 1-2 gallons.

But, you could make a gigantic one, with 20 lbs of hops.

eh, i don't need it. i'z just razz'n ya! u just always seem to fall into sh*t. like that big chest cooler you got.

Back