PID Autotune Goes to Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chugmaster

Reaction score
Running autotune on my Auber PID today.

Set the temp on automatic to 154F.

At 144F, I initiated autotune (setting to 2).

The kettle continued to rise to 212F.

Is this normal?

Chugmaster said:
Running autotune on my Auber PID today.

Set the temp on automatic to 154F.

At 144F, I initiated autotune (setting to 2).

The kettle continued to rise to 212F.

Is this normal?

When I ran autotune on my setup, I started with water fresh from the tap. I would think starting auto tune that close to final temp would cause an over shoot of temp.

Might be a bad relay.

I had the same issue. I went cheep on my SSR purchase and turns out they were bad and not turning off the element even though the SSR light indicated it was cycling. I replaced my SSR with one from Auber, set the temp to 154F and initiated the autotune at 144F. It ran for around 30 minutes and never went over 156F.

ironmountainbrew said:
Might be a bad relay.

I had the same issue. I went cheep on my SSR purchase and turns out they were bad and not turning off the element even though the SSR light indicated it was cycling. I replaced my SSR with one from Auber, set the temp to 154F and initiated the autotune at 144F. It ran for around 30 minutes and never went over 156F.

I know that my SSR is shutting off during normal operation. I can tell because my element light shuts off when a temperature is reached in automatic mode. This tells me that the SSR is working since the relay is closed when this happens.

I'm 99% that I have a faulty SSR. The out light on the PID goes off though my element light stays on. Can an SSR be faulty and only work part of the time? I was always under the impression that when it failed, it failed completely.

They can fail on. That's why I recommend a current transformer monitor. It tells you what is going to the element irrespective of what your controller or SSR pilot LED says.

Back