Belgian beers, why do I not care for them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glockspeed31

Reaction score
Ok, I have tried a few different Belgian brews and can not get over the sharp sweet bite that they have, if that is a proper description. I tried a Homebrew Triple, a New Belgian Tripple, a Delirium Tremens and a Delirium Noel and they all have that "bite" to them that I just can't get over. I drink a large variety of beers and this style just doesn't suit me.

What is this taste/bite that I am tasting in these beers.

Thanks

I've thought that some of them end up tasting like a really dry, sour cider I once made with baker's yeast (ended up like a saison or something). I know a lot goes into them and they aren't supposed to particularly taste like other beers but there's something I don't get about them.

Stouts/porters are about the malt, pale ales are about the hops, and I guess Belgians are about the yeast. As far as homebrewing goes I tend to minimize the flavor contributions of the yeast until I figure out what's what with the other two.

I try to avoid ordering them at my favorite bar but I'm still kind of a novice at beer selection so I end up ordering them anyway and it confuses my buddy who's been all over Europe and seems to favor them ("If you don't like them then why do you keep getting them?" "I don't know which is which!"). But occasionally I find one that I do like.

But I've only become an avid beer drinker since a bit before I started homebrewing a little over a year ago.

I believe the yeast gives Belgians that unique flavor.

I for one, have always very much enjoyed Belgians. Everybodies palate is different though.

That bite is likely alcohol.

While I do like some belgians I am generally not a fan of beers that are mainly flavored by their yeast (Hefe's, Saisons, ect.) I drink beer for the malt and the hops...I only invite the yeast to the party to eat some of the sugar and create the alcohol. With that being said, some complimentary esters that play a supporting role to hops or malt I really like. In line with that I use WLP007 with a lot of my west coast style IPAs.

I think that unique Belgian flavor you may be referring to is the phenols that the yeast puts off. Id agree that its an acquired taste, but once it sets in you will really enjoy comparing these Belgians to each other and admiring its subtlety.

Or maybe that's just me :)

I dearly love most Belgians; I love the interesting elements that the yeast tends to bring. That being said, I have found a couple of IPAs that I can tolerate, but none that I actually like; I just don't care for excessive bitterness.

To each their own! I contine to try IPAs from time to time in an effort to expand my palate, but I'm not worried about it. You might do the same thing with Belgians, OP... but it's not like you have to check off a list of beers that you like to be a "real" beer guy.

i'm not here to defend belgian beers, although there are many that i think are spectacular (rochefort 10, westvleteren 8, orval, drie fonteinen anything, cantillon are among my all time favorites) but it seems from your list that you have tried two belgian beers, and both from the same brewery?? branch out, try a couple others before you write off the whole country! or don't, there's lots of other good beer in the world

I LOVE belgians, but don't care as much for the Trippel... be sure to try a couple Dubbels and Strong Dark Ales (aka Quadrupel).

Maybe try some of the trappist/Abbey beers before writing off the whole category - Rochefort(8 or 10) and Chimay (Blue) are both widely available and make good examples. St Bernardus 12 is quite excellent also, though not a "trappist".

Ommegang Abbey ale and 3 Philosophers are great domestic examples of the styles.

BUUUUT.... I like the dry finsish/fruity undertones - that delicate/intricate flavor.

glockspeed31 said:
Ok, I have tried a few different Belgian brews and can not get over the sharp sweet bite that they have, if that is a proper description. I tried a Homebrew Triple, a New Belgian Tripple, a Delirium Tremens and a Delirium Noel and they all have that "bite" to them that I just can't get over. I drink a large variety of beers and this style just doesn't suit me.

Thanks

Yeah dont care for them either, I can drink them but not a fan. Also I dont care for a sasion either. Pretty similar too.

Yep, there are definitely many to try, and many variations within a given style. I love Trippels and Golden Strongs, but hated La Chouffe, due to the Coriander in the beer.

Duvel and Chimay Grande Reserve (aka Blue) top my list of Belgian Beers, though I really enjoy Chimay White, Leffe Blonde, Ommegang Abbey Ale, and Delerium Tremes, as well.

i cant imagine anyone not enjoying a dubbel. i really cant.

As much as I love Belgians in general, and Chimay beers in particular, I really didn't care for the Chimay Red I had a couple months ago. Maybe I got a bad bottle, maybe I don't like that beer, or... gasp... the style.

Not sure yet.

I've been a fan of Belgian beers for a long time, but I can understand why some people can't get into them. Most retain a distinct yeasty flavor, especially with a lot of them (most?) being bottle-conditioned.

That being said, there are so many different styles of beer available from Belgium, I would encourage you not to write them off altogether just yet.

Belgian beers cover many different styles. Pales, dubbels, tripels and BDSA's. Also within each style there wide differences. I like tripels, but given the choice I would take a BDSA over one. Belgians are a lot about the yeast. You can brew the same recipe and use 4 different yeast and have 4 different beers.

I love my Belgians and brew them often. Properly brewed and fermented you should not get hot alcohol tastes. If you are tasting hot alcohol flavor in home brewed versions of these styles, then they were not fermented right. Often the advice given ( from people that don 't brew Belgians) is to ferment them hot. This causes fusels that taste hot and give you a good headache.

They are mostly pretty high ABV brews so you cannot sit sown and have a bunch of them, so they are far from session beers.

That being said, if you don't like them, then don't drink them, but don't give up on Belgians because there are a couple that were not good examples of the style.

Yummy this thread made me go get a BDS out of the closet. Thanks OP!
I lied, I got two out of the closet. :D

I wouldn't want to drink one now, but that's because it's dark and cold out, and I'm not eating anything. If it's warm and sunny and I have something to eat, I'll take one down. I guess in that way they're like wine with me, I generally don't drink wine unless I'm eating something, or the weather agrees with it

Just realized the last three beers I brewed were "Belgian". Patersbier, golden strong, and wit.

Im pretty sure everyone could find at least one of those drinkable

Every time I give a friend a Belgian, I always get a shrug with the old...."meh, just not a fan of Belgians." But by the end of the first pint they're ready for more.

I chalk it up to being an acquired taste.try a nice saison.....great divide makes a good one.

That bite is likely alcohol.

While I do like some belgians I am generally not a fan of beers that are mainly flavored by their yeast (Hefe's, Saisons, ect.) I drink beer for the malt and the hops...I only invite the yeast to the party to eat some of the sugar and create the alcohol. With that being said, some complimentary esters that play a supporting role to hops or malt I really like. In line with that I use WLP007 with a lot of my west coast style IPAs.

I couldn't agree more. For me it is all about the Hops and Malt. Maybe as I get older I will venture out and become a Belgian drinker. I always give it a try now and then it's just not for me.

Thanks

One of my favorite beer is the Trappist ale Chimay Red (dubbel) ... I have studied and researched them extensively (I have drank many of them). I would recommend to anyone.

The bite is probably ale that is too strong. I generally avoid ale that is 9% ABV and above.

That's the one style I got talked into brewing.
My Belgian drinking friends think it's great....I don't care for it. :drunk:

I am not a fan - I want to be, but I haven't tried one that I liked, yet. The yeast taste makes me think "green" beer that is not ready, like the homebrew my college roommate made when homebrewing first became legal again 30 or so years ago.

Thanks

Personally, I really love most Belgian ales. Chimay white - a tripel, is possibly my ultimate fave, Duvel - a strong golden ale, Orval - a kind of all rounder, the various bottles I've tried from Rochefort, Westmalle and a few others.

I'm just wondering, as I've heard this from one of my mates before who can't stand Belgian beers, if maybe it's the high level of carbonation that might be most prominent in your tasting of the "sharp bite". I find that it helps balance the sweetness of some of those beers to a certain extent. I have to admit though, I do find that I get a slightly more pronounced hangover the day after having a Belgian brew or two in the mix.

If the beers are too cold, they suck. New Belgiums Trippel is a great example of this. Very very peppery and assy when cold (<40f). Let it warm up to maybe 50-55f and its sex in a glass.

Proper glassware is essential. Don't ask why, but it really does make a difference.

Not fond of the strong dark ales like Rochefort 10 at all. Duvel, on the other hand, is the most perfect beer in human history.

I am not a fan - I want to be, but I haven't tried one that I liked, yet. The yeast taste makes me think "green" beer that is not ready, like the homebrew my college roommate made when homebrewing first became legal again 30 or so years ago.

Rest assured its not green, its been brewing basically the same way with the same yeasts for thousands of years :D Pretty cool being able to taste history if you ask me.

One of my favorite beer is the Trappist ale Chimay Red (dubbel) ... I have studied and researched them extensively (I have drank many of them). I would recommend to anyone.

The bite is probably ale that is too strong. I generally avoid ale that is 9% ABV and above.

Ah, my friend, you haven't tasted my quad. 11% ABV and no bite whatsoever.

I agree, Chimay Red is my favorite commercial dubbel. When you become well-versed in brewing this style, you will see that you can brew a dubbel as good or better than Chimay. The problem is that these beers are among some of the most difficult to brew, from recipe formulation to fermentation.

My two favorite brewing styles are Trappist-style ales, and hoppy American beers. They are not mutually exclusive.

If you're getting a hot alcohol bite, it's a crappy Belgian.

My guess is that you're not used to the big fruity esters that you get from the Belgian yeasts.

Hmm... Maybe I should crack a bottle of Stone Cali-Belgique tonight. Great stuff ;)

Thanks

I'm a "belgophile" as far as that goes, and I happen to really dislike all three of the beers you mention. Cloying and hot. I tend to find most tripels a bit useless anyway, except those few like Westmalle that have enough bitterness to back up the alcoholic sweetness.

(Belgian is not a "style." The variety of beers from that country is mind-boggling, and indeed Belgian beer people tend to reject the styles that American homebrewers seem to memorize. But I digress.)

My suggestion? Go for lighter, drier stuff. Orval. Taras Boulba. Saison Dupont. Please don't reject all of Belgian beer for a few strong ales that might be better drunk (IMO!) out of pint-sized tins by homeless guys in train stations.

Taste like sweet tea that someone put everclear into me, the pale ales. I do like the stouts and the Bret B beers.

Different people, different tastes. I don't like Belgian beers very much, and I don't care for wheat beer either.

Ah, my friend, you haven't tasted my quad. 11% ABV and no bite whatsoever.

I agree, Chimay Red is my favorite commercial dubbel. When you become well-versed in brewing this style, you will see that you can brew a dubbel as good or better than Chimay. The problem is that these beers are among some of the most difficult to brew, from recipe formulation to fermentation.

My two favorite brewing styles are Trappist-style ales, and hoppy American beers. They are not mutually exclusive.

Coincidentally I"m about to brew my first chimay red dubbel. As this is my first attempt with the recipe and yeast, I have little idea of how it will turn out. But I thought I'd bounce the recipe off if anyone can supply some advice.

3 gal

Maris Otter 6.7 lbs
Cara Munich 5 oz
Aromatic 2 oz
Chocolate malt 1 oz
Caramelized sugar 10oz

Styrian Golding Pellets at 60 minutes .8 oz and 30 minutes .3 oz

WL trappist ale.

60F ambient fermentation (I also have 70F available but it seems wrong)

I didn't create this recipe but I trusted it even though the grain doesn't seem right now that I'm actually reading it. Because the grains seem too complicated and not belgian or german.

Maybe one day I will be able to even fathom the quad but today I'm all about the dub.

Rest assured its not green, its been brewing basically the same way with the same yeasts for thousands of years :D Pretty cool being able to taste history if you ask me.

Intellectually, I know this. Unfortunately, my roommate made crappy beer with a strong taste of yeast (hell it was probably brewer's yeast from the health food store or bread yeast from the supermarket since there were no LHBS back then). Belgian beers remind me of those beers.

To each their own. I like most Belgian beer, but am not into IPAs much. Everybody has their own tastes and things they like.
Besides flavors driven by yeast (phenols and esters), high levels of carbonation (which gives a bite), and drinking them too cool another reason some people don't like them is that they finish dry. Some like their beers with a higher FG, and Belgian beers are generally "digestible" and finish with a lower FG.

You probably haven't found the right one. There's almost for sure some belgian you like unless you only like hoppy pale ales and that's it.

Some of my favorite Belgian (or Belgian inspired) beers

Chimay (can't go wrong with any of them)
Westvleyern (almost for sure spelling that wrong, I think I had 10 and loved it)
Ommegang Three Philosophers and Rare Vos
Duvel
Brooklyn Local 1
Riverhorse Tripel Horse
Allagash Black, White, Four, and Yakuza

I think the real key is finding the right one for your taste. I typically like big triples, strongs or quads, because they have a multitude of fighting flavors.

Also remember like homebrew, be careful how you pour your belgians.

Back