Lagunitas Daytime IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gladius270

Reaction score
I tried this beer last week, and I absolutely love it. I would love to take a stab at an extract version of this. Being lower in alcohol and pretty light bodied and on the thin side, I'm sure the grain/extract side of things is fairly simple. However, I can find no information for a hop schedule on this brew. To me, the way the hops are used in this one really sets it off. I'm sure the yeast is some sort of clean American Ale yeast. Any input or suggestions would be great!

I know Lagunitas is fond of the "C" hops ( centennial, Columbus, citra, cascade) and Simcoe. They also use a yeast like White Labs 002. The are a few Jamil show episodes (Can You Brew It) where you get the exact recipe of Lagunitas beers.

Myself and others have picked up an onion/grass sort of flavor on that one, so I wouldn't be surprised to see summit or maybe simcoe in there.

Here's the Jamil show where you get the full recipe to Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/705

If you like their IPA I bet you'll love this one it is currently my favorite beer ever. I want to try an extract version some day. Or maybe I'll wait till I start all grain.

I've had the Sumpin' Sumpin', and I feel like it's alright. I find myself enjoying Boulevard's 80-Acre a little more. I feel like it's a bit more true to its wheat beer roots. I think I'm gonna base it off of the Centennial Blonde recipe that is established on this site:

5 lbs Extra Light DME
1 lb. Cara-pils
Notty or BRY-97 yeast

I really want to get the herbal quality like the Daytime has. I'm thinking that this beer is made with huge additions from 30 minutes on.

I really think this beer is heavy on the Nelson Sauvin/Citra vibe. Very white grape juice flavored to me, which is what the Sauvin seems to be all about.

Lagunitas IPA Clone

Style: American IPA
Type: Extract Calories: 238
Rating: 0.0 Boil Size: 3.00 Gal
IBU's: 33.92 Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Color: 10.1 SRM Boil Time: 60 minutes
Preboil OG: 1.127
Estimated Actual
Brew Date: - 10/10/2012
OG: 1.073 1.081
FG: 1.018 1.018
ABV: 7.20 % 8.25 %
Efficiency: 73 % 159 %
Serve Date: 11/27/2012 / /

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp Estimated Actual
Primary 14 days @ 62.0°F 10/10/2012 10/10/2012
Secondary 14 days @ 65.0°F 10/24/2012 10/24/2012
Bottle/Keg 21 days @ 72.0°F 11/06/2012 -

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
1.00 lbs 10.53 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 30 mins 1.034
2.00 lbs 21.05 % Briess Golden Light DME 60 mins 1.043
1.00 lbs 10.53 % Briess Wheat DME 10 mins 1.043
5.00 lbs 52.63 % Briess Golden Light DME 10 mins 1.043
0.50 lbs 5.26 % Briess Munich 20L 30 mins 1.034

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 26.10 Magnum 60 mins 15.10
0.60 ozs 2.42 Williamette 15 mins 4.70
0.80 ozs 2.51 Cascade 10 mins 5.00
0.40 ozs 1.20 Centennial 5 mins 8.70
0.80 ozs 1.38 Cascade 5 mins 5.00
0.30 ozs 0.11 Cascade 1 mins 5.00
0.30 ozs 0.19 Centennial 1 mins 8.70
1.20 ozs Cascade 7 days 5.00
1.20 ozs Centennial 7 days 8.70

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
2.00 pkg American Ale Wyeast Labs 1056

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 tsp Irish Moss 15 mins Boil

Mash Profile
(none)

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
7.01 oz DME - Bottle Carbonation 68.0°F 2.30

Notes

www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 2.831

That recipe is interesting. I'd probably try to make it without the wheat extract, and 6 lb total Golden LME. I'd be interested in maybe a 30 min. addition with emphasis on a variety that really gives off that herbal quality. I'm seeing that mentioned with Nugget and Chinook. Perhaps an addition of Citra could be nice.

I'm currently in love with Daytime as well.

I'm thinking that it's Simcoe and something else, mostly late addition hops (due to the low & refined bitterness). It's got to be Maris Otter as the single malt, because the color is incredibly light (suggesting no specialties) and still has a good roundness to it.

Anyone else have any ideas? I bought a sixer I'm going to use for 'analysis purposes' and may even email the brewery. They must know how good this beer is!

Subbed. Just had one, love it. The tropical pine was really interesting and tasty.

Subbed. Just had one, love it. The tropical pine was really interesting and tasty.

Absolutely. I'm drawn to the (and I hate the use of this word when talking about hops and beer) "dank" properties that are so so strong in this brew.

Yup, agreed.

Incidentally, I have a session IPA in the fermentor right now, Columbus/Amarillo/Citra. Don't have Simcoe, but should still be tasty. More just curious of their proportions/timing.

"Dank" is the reason I'm leaning toward Simcoe being in this beer, but I could be swayed into thinking that it's actually Summit. (sometimes a sub for Simcoe, also described as fruity/tropical)

I gotta do more "research" tonight!

Anybody hear back from the brewery on this yet? I think it's late hopped with Citra, Simcoe, and Cascade.

Just had this last week and I really got citra from it. I had my buddies citra black ipa that night as well and I'm almost certain. Nice beer, brought it to a gathering and everyone really enjoyed it.

Anybody hear back from the brewery on this yet? I think it's late hopped with Citra, Simcoe, and Cascade.

I heard back from them today. Here's the e-mail:

(ICWiener) thank you for writing in. So glad you enjoyed the DayTime, we’ve received a lot of positive feedback from fans and happy to add you to that list. Because it was the first time we had produced something like this, it’s cool to know that it has created its own cult following. We aren’t going to automatically throw it in to the unlimited lineup, but we will work towards finding a way to hopefully bring it back in 2013.

Our head brewer will be doing a radio segment on Brewing Network Live and discussing Session IPA’s including DayTime. Unfortunately at this time we won’t be reveling details of the hops and grains until we perfect and run it again.

So that was it. I was hoping for a little something...I didn't even probe, just asked what kind of hops they used. Oh well. Trial and error will get me close...I hope.

I would like to see them tinker with the malts on this. Don't get me wrong, I love this beer. However, I would like to see a bit more maltiness.

Much like ICWeiner, the reply I got was that the hops they used were proprietary. They would not release any details on the recipe until they have it nailed down. This leads me to believe that they will be playing around with this recipe a bit.

After listening to the segment on the brewing network they divulge that 6 hop varieties were used in Daytime. With an emphasis on the C hops, Galaxy and Nelson and pretty much making it clear there is Simcoe in the beer. The brewer mentions Lagunitas not liking to use Citra. Also it appears there is an adjunct or adjuncts to add mouthfeel/viscosity to a the light body. Possibly oats.

Yeah, there was no question in my mind that there's simcoe in there. Thought there was citra too, but looks like I'm wrong.

Interesting. Sounds like massive late additions of those hops. Galaxy has quickly become one of my favorites.

To update the post and also put in the exact information that was already publicly available:

1. OG is 1.042
2. 54.2 IBUs
3. 4.9% ABV
4. 6 Hop Varieties: Multiple C-Hops (No Citra), Galaxy, Nelson, Simcoe
5. Adjuncts for viscosity and mouth-feel (Possibly Oats)

To update the post and also put in the exact information that was already publicly available:

1. OG is 1.042
2. 54.2 IBUs
3. 4.9% ABV

Assuming the OG is 1.042, we can estimate that the FG is 1.004ish - 1.005
** Using (OG-FG) * 131 = ~4.9%

Seems like a relatively high apparent attenuation. As mentioned earlier, Lagunitas is fond of the White Labs 002.

1. OG is 1.042
2. 54.2 IBUs
3. 4.9% ABV

A rep today told me one of the hops was the HBC 342. he also said theres a ton of citra in Sucks, so I wouldn't write it off in this. Hopefully I can get more info at the brewery in a few weeks

A rep today told me one of the hops was the HBC 342. he also said theres a ton of citra in Sucks, so I wouldn't write it off in this. Hopefully I can get more info at the brewery in a few weeks

I really think that there's Citra in Daytime...

I haven't heard anything and I've been searching. I frickin' love this beer and feel like they nailed the concept of the session IPA. Not an easy thing to do.

Saw Daytime at the store the other day and picked up a sixer. When I saw the tagline of "fractional IPA" I was intrigued. Just polished off my first glass. This is *exactly* what I would have pictured a fractional IPA to be. Incredible.

So... thought I'd bring this thread back to life. Anyone had much luck on a clone recipe?

I, too, just bought a 6 tonight and love it. I was getting pretty tired of the "my beer is hoppier and has more alcohol than your beer" trend in the industry. No clue on the recipe, but I'm definitely going to be looking at trying to make a session "fractional IPA".

A Lagunitas rep told me that Daytime is brewed with (mostly?) citra hops. I know he at least said heavy citra hops, so if that's true, it's at least the primary hop used.

I'd say simcoe is probably a good bet too, since it has a very similar mango, tangerine, melon kind of character like my IPA recipe I've been tweaking that uses generous amounts of both hops.

I haven't heard anything and I've been searching. I frickin' love this beer and feel like they nailed the concept of the session IPA. Not an easy thing to do.

Agree 100%. Hopheads don't crave malt balance, but you do still need a malt backbone for the hops, which is really tough to do in a session IPA. The hops come out tasting kinda grassy in most of them.

agreed with all, I picked up a sixer of this the other day and MAN does it nail what I like in a hoppy beer. I'm not a hophead and I think this is just fantastic. I said to myself last night. "i need to find a clone for this bad-boy and make it my house pale ale".

Anyone have any luck trying out some brews with the hop suggestions made in this post?

Also I do all grain so all grain brewers feel free to chime in!

Steve

Anyone ever have Stone Goto Ipa? Very similar beer with different hops, I have a decent clone recipe of that which would be a good base to switch out hops and experiment. This recipe is one of my favorites and I cannot keep up with the demand.

--I made a modified version of this recipe recently http://www.craftedpours.com/homebrew...omebrew-recipe, changed hops due to my supply.

6 lbs of Pale Liquid Extract
1 lbs of Light Dry Extract
4 oz of Turbinado Sugar *added mostly to hit gravity of 1.046
8.0 oz of Caramel 20L
8.0 oz of Cara-Pils
*Steep grains in a muslin bag in 1 gallon of 158F water for 30 minutes then drain
*This is for a 6 gallon batch size as I lose nearly 1 gallon in the bottom of my 8 gallon kettle with spigot
* Re-hydrated one packet of fresh US-05 dry yeast, hit the wort with one minute of 02 at 66F
* Fermented via temp controlled mini fridge ~65F for 7 days, during 5 days of dry hop moved to room temp ~72F

Finished at 1.010 ~4.6%

0.5 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.0 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min

1.0 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min

1.0 oz Mosiac [11.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min

2.0 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min

1.0 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min
1.0 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] Aroma Steep 0.0 min
1.0 oz Mosiac [11.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min
1.0 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
1.0 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
* My 0 min additions, I chill to 165ish and drop them into the kettle put the lid back on and do a hop stand for 10 minutes before continuing the chilling

It came out great! Serious aroma, bottled a few growlers, opening them you can smell the passion fruit citrus from a foot away! Just did a re brew. The aging instructions I do not agree with, I dry hopped in primary at day 7 (small krausen left) then left for another 5 days, then day 12 racked to keg to crash/carb. I have been having oxidation issues hopping in the keg, switched back to dry hopping in primary and using buckets with spigots (no racking canes!), it has made a huge improvement in my hoppy beers.

I've had the Stone Go TO IPA, but I like the Lagunitas Daytime much better.

With that said, has there been a good extract clone posted for the Lagunita's?

Bumping this thread because I had Daytime for the first time yesterday and was blown away. I had it on draft and I couldn't get enough. I need an all grain clone recipe.

I think I'm going to take a shot at it the Friday. It'll be a long shot, but we'll see. I'll post my bill if it turns out close.

Bumping this thread because I had Daytime for the first time yesterday and was blown away. I had it on draft and I couldn't get enough. I need an all grain clone recipe.

I think I'm going to take a shot at it the Friday. It'll be a long shot, but we'll see. I'll post my bill if it turns out close.

let us know. I haven't taken a crack yet but I do love this beer and would love to try and make it sometime. I dont buy much beer but if I do I'm reaching for this one.

Back