east coast yeast Flemish ale stalled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deputyandy

Reaction score
I managed to pick up some ECY02 awhile back (manufacture date late July 2012) which I pitched in to a Flanders brown this past Sunday. I was a tad concerned with the OG being high (I messed up the partial mash and added a little more dme). As of tonight I haven't seen any activity in the carboy besides a fairly substantial layer of sediment (yeast?) on the bottom of the sediment.

Any reason to be concerned? I've heard ECY can be a little slow at first. Its been at a steady 68 degrees wrapped in a blanket. Should I pitch some t58 or some roselare or wait it out?

Wait it out. I don't think ECY has the cell count of WY or WL, which you would still want to make starters with. I seem to recall Al B says to make starters, though I might be wrong. I would give it time because it sounds like there is a growing mass of yeast building up on the bottom. Once the yeast reaches critical mass it will go to work. I'd say if you don't see activity by Friday to pitch a little ale yeast to get it going.

Yeah I was torn between making a starter and possibly throwing off the ecy balance. Ive also heard Ecy likes warmer temps tonget going. If its still on Friday I guess ill add some t58

In my experience with ECY a little heat just to get it started goes a long way. I've not heated and still got fermentation but if you want it to wake up 12 hours with a brew belt or something similar will help bigtime.

Great timing. I used this same batch of ECY02 ( prop July 1st?) in a brown ale this weekend. Lag time for this yeast in a normal temperature and without a starter is realllly long if it isnt super fresh. Next time I would recommend a starter and kick the heat to at least the mid 70s to get it running. (the sacc strain in it seems to love heat)

If it is still hasnt gone by tomorrow, I would pitch the other yeast, just so the bugs don't take over before the Sacc can have a chance. Either way,, I think you will be fine.

Woke up to some krausen! Kind of a mix of a dusty pellicle and a regular type krausen. Goes to prove if you post a concern on the boards, it will fix itself and you will feel silly.

Back