Hop Vine vs. Weed-Whacker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrettig

Reaction score
So my lawn guy weed-whacked my Brewer's Gold vine. It was about 3 feet high and on a string but he whacked it anyway. It's a first-year growth and he pretty much took it down to ground level. It looks like it's starting to come up again. Anyone have an idea what I can expect from this rhizome down the road? I'm not looking for much of a yield from any of the ones I planted this Spring since they're first-year plantings, but I'm now concerned about the long-term health of this one.

Thanks!

--Matt

If it was growing well up till now, I think you'll be fine. If you planted it as a rhizome there's a bunch of new roots growing off of it and it's accumulated some reserves down in the crown. You'll most likely see some new vines sprout and take over for the annihilated ones. Being that the crown spent some of it's reserves getting the new shoots to grow, it'll most likely be set back a slight bit next Spring but you'll never know the difference. Good luck!

Back