Vintner's Harvest Red Raspberry puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennachi

Reaction score
I have one 49 ounce can of this stuff, is that enough to get any sort of raspberry flavor in a 6 gallon batch?

Gonna use 25 pounds of clover honey.
energizer, nutrient, water to 6 gallons, and lalvin 71b-1122.

I have one 49 ounce can of this stuff, is that enough to get any sort of raspberry flavor in a 6 gallon batch?

Gonna use 25 pounds of clover honey.
energizer, nutrient, water to 6 gallons, and lalvin 71b-1122.
Problem is, is that there's no way of knowing how much fruit that actually represents. Most fruit wines suggest about 3lb or so per gallon.

All you could do is to brew the batch as is (leaving out the fruit), then when it's ready for secondary, add the fruit and let it finish. Then see what it's like.

Raspberry is a weird flavour, inasfaras, it can easily become very dominant, plus the removal of the sugars by fermentation doesn't help. I'd suspect that you'd have to make this a medium-sweet batch so the raspberry isn't too over powering, and gives you more like the fresher taste of "fresh" raspberry.... I suspect that part of the issue, is that once the sugars have fermented, the acid(s) and other non-sugar flavourings become very strong.

My thoughts were that one can is no where near enough. Its a 3 pound can. Why would that be any different that 3 pounds fresh?

But I don't know.

I was thinking of adding this can in primary for color and some flavor and adding more in secondary to boost raspberry flavor

But it sounds like that might not be a good idea... @ $20 a can I am not trying to buy 6 cans for this batch.
The guy who had experience with mead at my lhbs said this size can is good to make 5 gallon batch of wine with only adding water and yeast but after some research I think he was confusing this with the 96 ounce wine base can...

Depends on how much fruit flavour you want in your end product. Rasberry is pretty tart after the sugar has been fermented out, 1 can of puree might be just right, might be too much.

Found this product description online:

Vintner's Harvest Fruit Bases - Raspberry: An Oregon grown gem, bright red, medium sized berry with the familiar flavor. One 96 oz. can makes a fuller flavor and bodied 3 gallon batch or a lighter 5 gallon batch of wine. The 3- and 5-gallon batch recipes are included on the label.

After reading that, I'd say add 1/2 to primary & see if it's enough of a fruit profile for you, if not, add the rest of the fruit in increments till you get the flavour profile you want. I'd freeze the remaining puree in a sanitized tupperware bowl.
Regards, GF.

I think Gratus is in the right neighborhood. You have plenty of honey for a nice sweet mead, so the raspberry flavor should balance out nicely. I would still wait until secondary to add so you don't blow off as much fruit flavor.

How did this finish up for you? Found this product today and I must say I'm a bit stoked to use in my ciders in secondary, halt fermentation and keg for flavor and sweetness.

Please update if you're still active, thank you!

Back