Pick the Blue Moon clone- hah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McTarnamins

Reaction score
Which is the clone? Left or Right? The other, I promise, is a Blue Moon. I missed EdWort's Stone IPA quiz, can you get my Blue Moon?

IMG_0442sm.jpg

I agree, clone is on left. It appears to be slightly more reddish than the right one (unless that's the lighting).
Both look yummy though.

If the clone is on the left, then nice head!

Left....no right!

Left...No....Left! I don't know...

Wait, you know what your clone tastes like and you could not resist a comparison, so you had to taste the left one, which leaves some lace on the glass.

So I'm guessing Right! My final answer. It's locked in.

I'm going to go pour myself a bluemoon before I judge this. mmmmm morning beer :cross: (ok its 11:35 in Michigan so technically its not a drinking alone in the morning)

LOUIE!

Too proud of the head! Looks as though you poured it more vigorously and on the right more gingerly to get the head to look that way.

I say LEFT is CLONE!

- WW

OR you tricked me and did it the opposite way and the Clone is on the Right.

Both look tastey.

So when will we find out?

- WW

McTarnamins said:
Which is the clone? Left or Right? The other, I promise, is a Blue Moon. I missed EdWort's Stone IPA quiz, can you get my Blue Moon?

View attachment 2260
I'll pick the left one.

On a side note. Basic Brewing Radio did a video podcast tour of the SandLot brewery at Coors field. In the podcast it was explained that Blue Mood was developed there.

I'm voting for the left for the clone. I've drank my fair share of Blue Moon and the one on the right looks just like it. Of course if the lighting is off, I call shenanigans.

The left one is the clone because it seems to look a slightly darker than the one on the right which looks exactly like blue moon, but it could just be the way the lighting is, either way it looks tasty!

Extract or all-grain?

Extract, I say left, all-grain I say right. I've seen draft blue moon's that have and orangish hue to them.

Oh yeah,,,what kind of camera...exposure settings..lighting arrangement...shutter speed...etc. :D

Most of you got it....... the clone is on the LEFT. The real blue moon is on the right. I should have shook the keg to get more yeast in suspension before I poured it.

On a taste test I was surprised how little the blue moon fit the style. Not much spice taste and no tartness (I think they use an american wheat yeast).

I am biased on my beer, but then again I just took a Hoegarrden recipe and added Crystal 10L to get the color.

Here is the Reader's Digest version of the Recipe:

5lb Wheat Malt
5lb Belgian 2-row
1lb Crystal 10L
.5 lb flaked oats
.5lb rice hulls
Mash at 152°
1 lb flaked wheat in the brew pot up to 170°

15 IBU Mt. Hood hops at 60 Min
.5 oz crushed corriander at 5 min
1.5 whole Clemantine orange peels scored

Belgian Wit Yeast - Blow off tube!!!
10 days primary - no secondary

Thanks for the one comment on my tile job. I did that last summer along with granite tile counters. I would build everything if I could.

Cheers to all that participated in my pop quiz. :mug:

Back