Extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgayer

Reaction score
Has anyone used the small bottles of extracts before? Our LHBS is going out of business and of course I am buying way too much junk, got lots of Lalvin dry yeast. Got a couple bottles of the extract and wondering as they say add the 4oz to 5 gallon!

Anyone in the Saint Joseph, Mo area heads up, 15% off now but in another week it will get better. They still had tons of grains and juices! I did get all the beer bottles, $10.00 a case - 15%. The Apfelwein will do great in the 22 ouncers!

Sound like some of the soda extracts I've used. Don't think I've ever seen wine extracts. Concentrates, but not extracts.

These are in 7% alch and say will not restart fermentation! I was going to use it in a Mead and thought better of it and went with real blueberries instead. Here is the description:

These natural fruit extracts are packed in an alcohol base and contain no fermentable sugars. They should be added to beer or wine at bottling. Because of this, it is possible to add flavoring to only a portion of a batch. If you make an authentic Bavarian Hefe-Weizen, for example, you have the flexibility of bottling half the batch, and flavoring the rest. Use up to 4 ounces per 5 gallons.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/beer-flavorings.html has the same thing called Natural Fruit Extracts.

My confusion stemmed from this being posted in the wine area. I tried a fruit-flavored extract in an ale once, won't do it again. Not at all tasty & I'm glad I split the batch before trying it.

Yea, I tried a strawberry beer once! Only once!!

I saw you had a Blackberry manzanita melomel. Can you explain what that is? I believe I will be comming into some blackberries this weekend and it sounded interesting!

Back