Yeast not active

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevo2569

Reaction score
Alright brewed a batch of Red Otter(my version of Williams fireside ale) last night. Did everything as usual, except used yeast cake from 1 month old batch that was washed and refrigerated. Only problem is almost 24 hours after pitching no bubbling. Should I pitch spare notty or wait till morning??? By the way yeast cake was whitbread and I've never had to wait more than 12 hours for fermentation to start and I didn't use a starter cause I haven't had to In the past using yeast cakes. What do you guys think?

Well I guess I freaked to soon. I increased the temp in the basement to 70( it was about 62) and bubbling airlocks away. Thanks anyway guys. I jumped the gun I guess.

Back again. This is the weirdest start I've ever had. The bubbles stopped again. Apparently the yeast cake wasn't as viable as I thought. Any suggestions?

Patience, ahhh. Just totally not what I'm used to after 20+ batches never seen this before. After 48 re-pitch??

Sounds good thanks man. Do you agree that the yeast cake viability is low? Do you think the spare notty I've got will produce a totally different beer than the witbread? If so should I wait another day and get a new witbread smackpak?

Back