Nottingham question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDL

Reaction score
I am fermenting a smash of 2 row and cascade that was mashed at 164with an hour boil. I rehydrated the Nottingham and picked into wort at 68 degrees. The Nottingham had cooled to about 75 when I pitched it in. I put it in the water at around 90 or so.

Fermentation took off and lasted about 72 hours oaf hard fermentation. At day 13 it went from an og of 1.046 to 1.020. Aim going to leave on the cake for two more weeks just wondering if there is way to generate more fermentation or will it continue to do it's thing? Temperature was at 70 during hard fermentation now between 64 and 66.

Thanks for any info in advance
Jeff

I am fermenting a smash of 2 row and cascade that was mashed at 164with an hour boil. I rehydrated the Nottingham and picked into wort at 68 degrees. The Nottingham had cooled to about 75 when I pitched it in. I put it in the water at around 90 or so.

Fermentation took off and lasted about 72 hours oaf hard fermentation. At day 13 it went from an og of 1.046 to 1.020. Aim going to leave on the cake for two more weeks just wondering if there is way to generate more fermentation or will it continue to do it's thing? Temperature was at 70 during hard fermentation now between 64 and 66.

Thanks for any info in advance
Jeff

Did you really mash at 164, or is that a typo? If you mashed at 164, I'm surprised you got as low as 1.020. It will not ferment any more.

I agree with Yooper. 160 should be the highest mash temp you would use. a lot of the enzymes were probably denatured at 164.

Notty is fine down to 60 (and below). Temp is not the problem. Did you aerate, if not, it could be a slow ferment.

After 13 days, no speciality malts, and good ferment temps, it should be done. I think you need to check your thermometer; you mashed higher than you thought and have a lot of unfermentable sugars.

You know, in addition to myself, I think this is the third very recent post about a low gravity beer that started off fine with Nottingham finishing unusually high. I've been going over my process and checking my thermometers. Everything checks out. Mine may have gotten a little cooler than I wanted, but I really don't think it went below 60. Ambient was 68 to 70, but it was on a linoleum floor that sucked some heat out. Don't think that would cause a huge problem since it's just not THAT cold in Texas. I mashed at 155. I'm willing to accept that it's because of something I did, but I'm probably going to choose a different yeast next time..just in case.

You know, in addition to myself, I think this is the third very recent post about a low gravity beer that started off fine with Nottingham finishing unusually high. I've been going over my process and checking my thermometers. Everything checks out. Mine may have gotten a little cooler than I wanted, but I really don't think it went below 60. Ambient was 68 to 70, but it was on a linoleum floor that sucked some heat out. Don't think that would cause a huge problem since it's just not THAT cold in Texas. I mashed at 155. I'm willing to accept that it's because of something I did, but I'm probably going to choose a different yeast next time..just in case.

OK. I'm going to call this my fault. The yeast is very alive and active after adding some amylase. My mash temps have to be at fault.

My last three batches have had the same thing happen. A 1.071 DIPA, and a 1.059 Oatmeal Stout, which were both extract, and a 1.051 AG batch of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale that were all fermented with Notty and all finished at 1.020. I have another batch of the Haus Pale going using US-05 and it is at 1.010 after 6 days and is still quite active.

Latest posts

Back