Tried any good IPA's lately?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
I'm not bottling right now, just keggin' so I bought a few sixers of IPA to try on the golf course. Both were good. "Mad Hatter" and "Titan" IPA's. No I didn't drink 12 beers in one round of golf. LOL. Some were for the golf buddies who usually guzzle Miller Lite.

I also took a taste of the "long haul" IPA I'm conditioning in my keg. Such a nice brew. It's such a pleasure to brew beer as good or better as these IPA's that cost $11 a six pack.

Any good IPA's you've sampled recently? Probably doing a simcoe ipa next.

I recently had Founders Red Rye PA, Not quite an IPA, but it was a great hoppy flavorful beer. I really feel in love with it.

Fuggles IPA from Shipyard Brewing. So good I am going to make a clone of it. A nice traditional English IPA with no C hop's which is such a a nice change of pace.

I tried Flying Dog's IPA a few weeks back. Good, but I thought it didn't have as much hops kick as I normally expect from an IPA

I tried Flying Dog's IPA a few weeks back. Good, but I thought it didn't have as much hops kick as I normally expect from an IPA

Their Double Dog IPA is really good.

I haven't had anything new tickle my fancy in a bit, sticking to my old standbys: Green Flash West Coast IPA, Racer 5 IPA, Pliny the Elder and Lagunitas Hop Stoopid.

New belgium's ranger ipa and sierra nevada's torpedo are excellent choices. For a change of pace, try a bear republic red rocket ale. Its a red, but hopped up. Worth a try

Not "lately" by correct definition but when I was in Vermont this summer I had some of Magic Hat's IPAs. Actually, I had a lot of all of them.

They had several available at the brewery and I think the one that struck my fancy quite a bit was Hi P.A.

I liked it so much I got a growler of it to take camping (and a growler of Hexx).

New belgium's ranger ipa and sierra nevada's torpedo are excellent choices. For a change of pace, try a bear republic red rocket ale. Its a red, but hopped up. Worth a try

Torpedo is the one SN that really shines to me. I've really moved on to belgian IPAs, fermenting belgian yeasts at low temps just gives the beer this perfect bite that I think goes with the hops perfectly. I like a lot of IPAs, but I feel like it's a one-dimensional style. *stirs the pot*

I can't remember the magazine, but there was an article about hopping and torpedo was talked about since the name was actually the process in which the beer was hopped. Informative and tasty. Yes, its very west coast, and if that's your bag, stone, lagunitas and firestone walker make some other killer ipa's that are worth checking out as well

Just had Nectar's IPA for the first time yesterday. Very good beer, although it tastes more like an APA (6.8% ABV with 60 IBUs)

Yep! This one from Brewerkz in Singapore was fantastic.

IMG_14752.JPG

iPhone_213.JPG

Highly recommended if find yourself thirsty in the CQ. :)

I'm also a big fan of the follow your folly packs from New Belgium. The pack I'm just finishing now had Ranger, Hoptober, Blue Paddle, and Fat tire. Every one of these beers I'll have to clone in the future.

I'm a big fan of Crooked Tree IPA from Dark Horse Brewery(out of the UP) as well as the dogfish head 60 min IPA.

Also, if you can get Bells brews, HopSlam is quite possibly the best IPA I've ever had(in my opinion anyhoo). This one is seasonal and comes out around January. Expensive, but worth every penny :D

Not a huge fan of the New Belgium beers as a rule of thumb but I had a Mighty arrow on tap not that long ago and really liked it. I would suggest it.

SN Torpedo is pretty awesome. I keep seeing the Red Rocket Ale at the store, but haven't tried it yet. I'll have to check it out.

The Boulevard Single Wide IPA is pretty tasty, although it might not be hoppy enough if you're looking for a west coast style hop explosion.

Had McNeill's Dead Horse IPA yesterday. Was very fresh with great flavor... lighter ABV. I recommend stopping into the brewery and getting a fresh IPA on tap there.

Not new, but I love Bell's Two-Hearted IPA, and I especially enjoy their Hopslam IIPA.

I have recently had Lagunita's Little Sumpin Sumpin and thought it was very good.

I like Stevens Point Cascade Ale, which it not really an IPA, but very tasty. Good when you want a lighter beer.

Goose Island IPA is pretty tasty too.

Geez, there are plenty of good IPAs out there. Founders, New Holland both local and tons on the West Coast.

sculpin is one of those touted and hard to find beers as well as being expensive but for all the hype it does deliver.

I was reminded again the other weekend :mug:

Equinox Brewing in Fort Collins currently has a great IPA called Meridian. Had it on CO2 and from a beer engine, and it was excellent both ways. If you're in northern Colorado, it's worth stopping in for a pint.

Having my go-to commercial IPA as I type this (lunch hour). Clipper City Loose Cannon. It's a really nice IPA. It is a close second to Southern Tier's Unearthly but really nice nonetheless

Had McNeill's Dead Horse IPA yesterday. Was very fresh with great flavor... lighter ABV. I recommend stopping into the brewery and getting a fresh IPA on tap there.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T. I don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but my experience is that McNeill's taps are dirty and my husband and I always feel off after a beer there. I have also heard they have different brew facilities for their bar and their bottles (with the bottles being superior)

The bigger, hoppier IPA arms race is leaving me a little burned out. Nowadays the lines between IPA, IIPA, and DIPA are blurred at best. I find myself increasingly looking for a nice, easy drinking IPA. I had some Harpoon IPA the other day and found that quite satisfying. I'm going to rediscover Flying Dog IPA which I quit buying a while back when I got swept up in the arms race. Biggest surprise for me in a while was the Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA. Complete lack of a big, floral hop bomb at the end makes it completely unlike any IPA I've had. While I usually like the hop crescendo, I found myself really savoring the complex bitterness of the Latitude 48. I'd like to see the hop schedule on this beer, as it really has me thinking I've been concentrating on the flavor/aroma end of the spectrum and not making the most of the possibilities on the bitterness/flavor end with my homebrews.

+1 on the Goose Island (drinking one right now.)

My current 3 favs are: Victory Hop Devil, Goose Island IPA, & Founders Centenial IPA.

One of my favorite Imperial IPA's and one of my favortie beers in general is Avery's The Maharajah. Absolutely epic hop character and it hold up very very well! The other nice thing about this beer is that no hop extracts are used at all. If you want to see my video review for it here it is:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back