simultaneously using 2 strain of yeast for same cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naeco

Reaction score
I had trouble starting my cider with the Lalvin 71-B as it is more sensitive to So2 and I had initially added too much campden to my juice. It was not really doing anything or it was really staled even after the addition of energizer so I was fed up and decided to add some Lalvin 1118 to the juice and it started bubbling within hours.

My question is: Can you simultaneously use 2 different strain of yeast for same cider and is there a chance it could mess up the final taste even if they are 2 wine yeast from the same company ?

Thanks

Yeast is yeast, they will compete for food with each other and then one will gain victory.

Do you think the taste would have been that much different if the 71-B would have been the only yeast used or it should be similar as they are both wine yeast ?

L1118 is champagne yeast. Like 71B it will take the cider very dry like white wine. IMHO it works better than 71B if you like it dry and age for several months minimum. If all goes well, this will taste good next spring

good luck. since you seem to be in good apple country, you might want to think about another batch with an ale or wheat for more of a pub style cider that you can start drinking in 3-6 weeks while you are waiting for the L1118 batch to age.

you might want to think about another batch with an ale or wheat for more of a pub style cider that you can start drinking in 3-6 weeks while you are waiting for the L1118 batch to age.

I have a second 5 gal with Safale s-04 with the same juice fermenting as we speak. I will also be picking up another 10 gal on September 19th.

CvilleKevin, are you saying that using a wine or champagne yeast means that I have to let it age for a full year while I can get away with 3-6 using the S-04? How different is the taste from one to the other? What yeast would you use if my goal is to make a strongbow clone? I will be fermenting both yeast to complete dryness and adjust after with apple concentrate and non-fermentable sugar to desired taste.

thanks

Any cider that you let ferment fully dry is going to take a while for the acids to mellow out. The advantage to an ale or wheat yeast is that they are fairly easy to stop without letting them get fully dry. I've never measured sg of a strongbow but guess it is at lease 1.010

Back