Suicide Blonde label - concept to completion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A4J

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
sketching and painting were all done with a wacom tablet in photoshop. comments and constructive criticism are welcomed.

suicide_blonde_sketch.jpg

suicide_blonde.jpg

Looks good. My only suggestion would be to make her thong different color. It almost looks like her butt cheeks are completely separated and you can see through the to the front of her dress.

fuking awesome. not sure if her booty is round enough though...lol.

reminds me of my daughter's old Bratz dolls.

if she's a suicide blonde give her a .45 in her left hand, or maybe a hangman rope... but then again maybe your saying/thinking along a diff line.

thong needs diff color and prob like her left arm & hand more defined.

I would prefer the logo not to be covering the best part...I think there may be to much going on with the logo that high. But it looks excellent great job!

After lightening the "thong" part, it looks like her gooch is hanging out. Maybe plumpen the cheeks so that they meet before the skirt.

Looks pretty awesome. What's up with that left eye? it's like twice the size of the right one and the eyebrow is up over the hair?

Otherwise, that is one great sketch.

I also prefer the first thong over the second, something about it doesn't sit right that way, and I was fine with the first image.

I think you need to definitely make the butt cheeks closer together. They look too far apart. Additionally, the left eye is too big.

You have amazing skills, so I'm sure this stuff is not hard for you to fix. Fantastic job.

Nice label, nice drawing. I like seeing new things on the second look - so I liked the background curls on the right.

Hey, is the copyright watermark permanent? I thought it would have been a cool eye closeup (steeley stare and all that).

ya draw a nice tush.

You have a great hand for illustration. Really tight.

My Crit would be...The type is competing with the image. It could use a color change or a possition change. I think it falls easily where its at... epicenter... but I would suggest being as soft and concerned with the type as you were the image.

Regarless, you bring together a strong image. Nicely done.

jason

Awesome! Do you have any other labels? Do you design for a living? Why the (c)?
Thanks.
This is only the second label I've posted on HBT, but I have a couple others.
I don't design for a living anymore. I freelance, but it's not something I actively pursue.

The (c) is because people think that without the (c) that it's free for the taking. It's a pet peeve of mine. I hate people using my artwork without my permission, even if it's for non-commercial use. It's happened often enough.

the extra large eye doesn't bother me. i like the cheeks. Do re-color the thong and maybe drop the main text to her knee level to showcase that awesome phat booty.

so they won't use it 'cause the c is ugly?

(I agree with using it on a public forum, but for home consumption and gifts, I think it becomes a detractor)

and, BTW, you STILL draw a nice booty

Very impressive, though I can see what people are saying about either lighting up, darkening, or putting a different colour (which I don't think is needed) on the thong or w/e you'd consider that to be.

Might be a fun idea to try having just her left arm only, overlap the font maybe. I think there would be more than enough of the word visible that people won't be confused reading it.

Great job by the way... I bought a small Wacom Bamboo over a year ago while still in my design course but, was always too busy with homework to play with it. I might just reconnect it again...

And you used photoshop for all the preliminaries as well? Not scanned in from a pencil drawing?

I like the drawing, and I understand the stylistic pose, but I agree with the others about the gap being a bit wide. Also, maybe the left arm could be raised with a gun in her hand or something? The letters block out where her hand rests on the hip...maybe "suicide" could be on the left just above the waist and "blonde" could be to the right of her just below the right forearm? I just think the image is too nice to block with text. Just ideas.

Forgot to update this thread. Here's the draft final and how it looks on bottles
suicide_blonde_print_hbt.jpg

suicide_blonde_bottle.jpg

i like how it turned out but there's a few things i still need to tweak. the blonde's almost perfect, but I'm not happy with the overall layout. I was going for something different but I think I'll stick with a center-heavy layout.

Might be a fun idea to try having just her left arm only, overlap the font maybe. I think there would be more than enough of the word visible that people won't be confused reading it.
My first iteration had that. I like to wrap letters and text around other things but it just wasn't working with my layout. I might do a custom font and i think with the relocating the blondie toward the center of the label.

Great job by the way... I bought a small Wacom Bamboo over a year ago while still in my design course but, was always too busy with homework to play with it. I might just reconnect it again...

And you used photoshop for all the preliminaries as well? Not scanned in from a pencil drawing?
Thanks. Yup, everything was done in photoshop, but I used AI for the copyright symbol.
I haven't tried Bamboo yet, but I love my Intuos3 and I'd love to own a cintiq.

My thoughts...

I quite like the girl overall. Yes, her butt looks a little odd, but it's overall consistent with the sort of stylized pin-up drawing style, and I think it works.

I also dig the layout being so center-heavy and open around her, which just really focuses the eye on your artwork.

My only major issue is actually with the side panel; the darker background swirls (leaves?) interfere with the readability of the text. I would consider lightening them further and/or adjusting the hue to further distance the color from the text color.

Also, this is minor, but I'm another person who'd never heard the term "suicide blonde" before this thread, and knowing what it means I find myself wanting some sort of description of the term on the label. It's a really neat name, and it could just be me but I really like getting to find out the relationship between beers' names and the brews themselves (when there is one).

Overall, great work! And +1 on the Intuos, they are truly fantastic.

I love it! One vote to keep it off center. I think it gives it interest.

I also like where you moved "Suicide Blonde" to. It looks better lower.

I also like a bit of intrigue in labels and names. If you spell everything out for a consumer where is the mystery?

I love it! One vote to keep it off center. I think it gives it interest.

I also like where you moved "Suicide Blonde" to. It looks better lower.

I also like a bit of intrigue in labels and names. If you spell everything out for a consumer where is the mystery?

Moving it lower does deter from her face though.. lol

Back