Critique my stout and help my aroma hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmo88

Reaction score
I've never brewed a standard American stout without mucking it up with extra stuff. I've created a recipe that looks good to me after reading the chapter in Ray Daniel's book about stouts. Here is the rough draft of the grist:

11lbs 2row
1.5 lbs roasted barley
12oz flaked barley
8oz crystal 80
4oz black patent

I want to stay true to the American aspect to the recipe but don't like the way cascade fights with the dark malt aroma. What aroma hop do you find works well with the malts? Maybe Columbus? Or something more subtle like willamette? The problem is that I just haven't had that many American stouts where I knew the hops and can remember their impact. I'm drinking SN stout now and am not digging the cascade aroma in it. Thoughts?

With a 1 1/2lbs of RB I don't think any amount of aroma hop will come through. Stouts aren't about hops, they should have a Roast forward taste and good body. IMO, just bitter to a BU:GU of 1 for balance and you will be good. I use Chinook in mine. I have a 20 minute addition of Goldings in there and can't even taste it over the RB.

Here is a closer version to what it seems to be going toward. Thanks for the previous replies. The Jamil resource was helpful.

Do you think 1oz of columbus is too much aroma at ten minutes? I am considering scaling back to 5 oz. Which will still keep the BU:GU about 1.

Let me know what you think, please.

Recipe: American Stout
Style: 13E-Stout-American Stout

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 7.00 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 6.00 US gals
Volume Transferred: 5.80 US gals
Water Added: 0.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 5.80 US gals
Final Batch Volume: 5.02 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.055 SG
Expected OG: 1.064 SG
Expected FG: 1.015 SG
Expected ABV: 6.5 %
Expected ABW: 5.0 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 64.1
Expected Color: 35.0 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 75.0 %
Mash Efficiency: 76.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 64 degF

Fermentables
US 2-Row Malt 11lb 0oz (79.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Roasted Barley 1lb 0oz (7.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Flaked Barley 12.00 oz (5.4 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 40L Malt 8.00 oz (3.6 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Chocolate Malt 6.00 oz (2.7 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Black Malt 4.00 oz (1.8 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
US Columbus(Tomahawk) (15.5 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 60 Min From End
US Columbus(Tomahawk) (15.5 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 10 Min From End

Other Ingredients

Yeast: DCL US-05 (formerly US-56) SafAle

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (68C/154F)
Step: Rest at 154 degF for 60 mins

Do you think 1oz of columbus is too much aroma at ten minutes? I am considering scaling back to 5 oz. Which will still keep the BU:GU about 1.

I think you will be good either way. I don't think you will even notice the 10 minute addition, when it comes time to drink it. But then again I've been using low alpha hops for my late addition. So yours very well may come through nicely. Don't know till ya try.:mug:

Back