What Type of Beer is for Me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greeneyed

Reaction score
Until recently I was not really a connoisseur, more a drinker of tasteless ales and lagers.

Upon deciding to homebrew, I have decided to broaden my horizons so to speak.

And I have been fervently trying new types of beer.

I have the basic start up equipment, and as of yet, cannot lager.

Here are a few I have really enjoyed recently.

Duvel (favorite so far)
Belhaven Scottish Ale
Amber Bock
Oktoberfest Munchen

I prefer the malty side as opposed to the hoppy side(No IPA).

I know a few of those are lagers or long term aged.

I want some I can enjoy as a session beer.

I do plan to convert a chest freezer soon to be able to lager/store beer.

Also I have only gone the partial/extract route as of yet.

Please enlighten me.:D

Go out and get a St. Peter's English Pale Ale if you can find it. It's a pretty common beer around my area. Plus, it's non-filtered, so it'll really give you an idea of what homebrew is like. I'd say start out with some Pale Ales, Irish Reds, maybe a Wit since you like lagers.

You'll eventually get to the point where you'll enjoy IPA's. When I started brewing, my Dad couldn't stand Stouts, Porters, IPA's....basically anything that had intense flavors and aromas. Now, they're his favorite beers to drink since he's gotten used to them.

Sounds like a British Mild Ale would be right up your alley. It's a really tough style to find commercial examples of here in The Colonies, but I think that makes it much more fun to brew! Plus it's low gravity and ready to drink in a few weeks.

My session beers are Belgian Wit + French Saison. Wheat based beers are easy to make, dont need crazy temperature control and are loved by most beer drinkers.

You'll eventually get to the point where you'll enjoy IPA's. When I started brewing, my Dad couldn't stand Stouts, Porters, IPA's....basically anything that had intense flavors and aromas. Now, they're his favorite beers to drink since he's gotten used to them.

This is so true. I remember when I first had an IPA, I could not understand why in the world anyone would want to drink it. I gradually navigated away from the BMC offerings and into the likes of stouts and porters. I still prefer the dark beers, but I'm coming around to IPAs as well. After hearing so much about the Dogfish Head 90-minute, I decided to try one: I was pleasantly surprised.

I think some of the more intense beer styles, as you call them, are definitely acquired tastes. Think about it: few people really enjoyed beer at all when they first tried it. Why should these new styles of beer be any different?

Thanks everyone.
Nice places to start.
Kinda hard for me to brew them all conveniently.
I live 120 miles round trip from the LHBS, so would like to get a general idea.
Think I may try Orfys All-Grain - Mild Mannered Ale and see about it.

Until recently I was not really a connoisseur, more a drinker of tasteless ales and lagers.

Upon deciding to homebrew, I have decided to broaden my horizons so to speak.

And I have been fervently trying new types of beer.

I have the basic start up equipment, and as of yet, cannot lager.

Here are a few I have really enjoyed recently.

Duvel (favorite so far)
Belhaven Scottish Ale
Amber Bock
Oktoberfest Munchen

I prefer the malty side as opposed to the hoppy side(No IPA).

I know a few of those are lagers or long term aged.

I want some I can enjoy as a session beer.

I do plan to convert a chest freezer soon to be able to lager/store beer.

Also I have only gone the partial/extract route as of yet.

Please enlighten me.:D

God you sound like me 3 years ago....I was in love with Malt...now I have gone the other way and love Hops...some day I will find my sweet balance.

Back