My new fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyc

Reaction score
Here's my setup, just got it running last night. I've got a BIG computer fan circulating the air inside so I'll probably find a way to slow it down. I wish it was taller but I made it to fit under my work bench. I can't use an airlock on my 6.5 carboy but a blow off tube is fine.

fermenter1_Large_.jpg

fermenter3_Large_.jpg

fermenter4_Large_.jpg

fermenter5_Large_.jpg

Thats a cool set up! I had a similar set up, watch out for ice build up on the coils, I put a tray of kitty litter in mine to help keep the moisture level down in the cabinet and defrosted between batches.

Nice looking chiller.

If you want to slow down a 12 volt muffin fan, get an adjustable power supply and set it to 7.5 volts. Some of the fans will run on 6 volts, but all I have seen will run fine on 7.5 volts.

Nice looking chiller.

If you want to slow down a 12 volt muffin fan, get an adjustable power supply and set it to 7.5 volts. Some of the fans will run on 6 volts, but all I have seen will run fine on 7.5 volts.

I'm going to look for an old cell phone charger, they're usually 5-7v and it'd be free. I need to rewire it so that the fan only comes on w/ the compressor but I already have beer in a swamp cooler and wanted to get the temp stabilized asap.

I was going to add a fan to my chiller, but it is holding 62*F fine without it.

Going to put a lager in there this weekend, we will see if it will hold 48*F the same way. Convection works pretty well in a closed system without a fan.

I was going to add a fan to my chiller, but it is holding 62*F fine without it.

Going to put a lager in there this weekend, we will see if it will hold 48*F the same way. Convection works pretty well in a closed system without a fan.

Since my new fermenter is so much wider than the fridge initially was I want to make sure the far end of the box stays the same temp. My thought is that since the air is cooled from just that small freezer section and my probe is at the far end the temp would vary greatly from one end to the other. If I lager I'm also worried about stressing out the compressor trying to cool all that extra volume. I will take a pic of the inside w/ the fan as soon as I get the beers in there now finished.

Very interesting, I have an older dorm fridge just lying around and I was wondering how I could use it for fermenting. Any chance you could give me some quick build specs on this Johhny? Did you add a thermostat control?

Sure, I'll put something together. Pretty straightforward if you know your way around a saw and a drill. I'll post it as soon as I get a chance.

Like the use of duct tape, very manly! ARrggg gggg..
Looks great and I think a great use of space.

So how has this been working out? I'm looking to do the same so I can graduate from the swamp cooler but I was concerned that the combination of small fridge + Georgia temp swings would be too much for a little fridge to take on. Since you're in GA too and you built it during summer I have to ask...have you been happy with this so far?

-Tripod

It worked great all summer. I've been using it constantly since building it fermenting in the low 60s. I've cooled it down to the high 40s when cold crashing and it handled it like a champ. No problems so far, other than some moisture build up under the freezer section. I had a little black mildew under there until I put some damp-rid inside. Now its gravy.

It worked great all summer. I've been using it constantly since building it fermenting in the low 60s. I've cooled it down to the high 40s when cold crashing and it handled it like a champ. No problems so far, other than some moisture build up under the freezer section. I had a little black mildew under there until I put some damp-rid inside. Now its gravy.

Suh-weeet! :rockin:

I'm thinking this will be the next step for me to see real improvement. Since my time is really limited (and therefore a little guarded) I'm trying to pick the projects that will maximize results.

Do you have to run the 'fridge all that much (read: How's you power bill)?

:mug:

-Tripod

Haven't noticed any difference, if anything its gone down. (I previously used this as a beer fridge in my garage.) Since I'm keeping it around 64 instead of 40 its running much less. I'm pretty confident in my insulation methods so I don't think I'm losing air through the structure itself.

Very nice...I'm not running my little fridge these days so I'll probably see a little increase. But like you said, I'll only be running for 60*F instead of 40-some-odd so I doubt it will be that drastic...

Thanks again,

-Tripod

Framed with 2x4s and the sides are 5/8" plywood. The bottom is MDF since I had it already. If I do it again or make any changes I would use some of the whiteboard material you can buy at HD instead. More slick and easier to clean up. Once I got the box built I caulked all the interior joints.

The insulation is 3/4" and I doubled up on the ceiling, back and side walls. Used 3M adhesive spray. Didn't hold so well in some places so I used a couple roofing nails. After I installed the first layer of insulation I duct taped all the interior joints then cut the second layer to overlap the first joints. I duct taped these also for more protection. After I cut the door out of the front I glued the insulation to the front. I then cut the insulation out for the door smaller so I have overlapping edges to reduce air flow more.

To hold the box to the fridge I first butted it up against the box then used a strap to hold it in place while I attached the trim all the way around. I had some quarter round laying around so I cut that for the front and top, attached it to the top of the fridge and side of the box using liquid nails. The back didn't have to be pretty so I just used a short length of 1"x2" screwed to the box and glued to the fridge. I left it to dry overnight and the next day it was stuck. Just to be safe I used duct tape on the inside too, even though I'll never move it.

I picked up the temp controller and wired it in according to the directions. I've got a dremel w/ a small cutting bit and I cut a hole in the edge of the fridge to mount it. I ran the temp sensor around the back and drilled a small hole to get into the box. I have it at the opposite end of the chamber. You can see the black lead laying against the back wall.

One thing I didn't get a picture of yet is the computer fan I have wired in sitting by the freezer compartment of the fridge. I debated wiring it in with the love controller so it only switched on with the compressor but I think leaving the fan running keeps the compressor from turning on so frequently. Same principal as a variable speed furnace fan. I'm using a 5v adapter from a cell phone or something. I first used a 12v and that was way overkill, all I'm trying to do is keep the air circulating.

Lastly I do have condensation issues but Damp-Rid helped fix that. Hope this helps.

Oh and BTW I think this has improved the quality of my beer more than anything else. Summer in GA made it hard to keep the temps below 75 if I didn't stay on top of it. Now its smooth sailing, all I do to cold crash is adjust the temp :D

Summer in GA made it hard to keep the temps below 75 if I didn't stay on top of it. Now its smooth sailing, all I do to cold crash is adjust the temp :D

Exactly. I know allllll about the GA summers and you're right about staying on top of it. The swamp-cooler does work to slow down the temp swings but it can still get way above 75*F inside the carboy unless you constantly swap out the fozen 2-liters. The swamp has improved things greatly but I'm looking for something just a little more consistent.

Thanks for the details...

-Tripod

Very nice project. Good job.

I especially thank you for the pics because you gave me the great idea of using a spray bottle for the blowoff tube assembly. I'd been looking for something plastic and tall and narrow to fit inside my mini-fridge fermentation chamber, that had a mouth opening of some sort, but everything I'd found around the house had a mouth that was just too narrow for the blow off tube to fit through comfortably, or was too big altogether to fit in the chamber. This is seriously a "slap the forehead" moment for me. Thanks!

Great, thanks. Is it expensive to run? I'm thinking of something similar to try lagers, its usually cool enough with an ice bath here in the summer to keep my fermentation around 65.

Back