Beer store sampler 6 pack I bought

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBrothaRick

Reaction score
I went to the big liquor store on Friday and picked up one bottle each of these 6 brews:

Biere Du Boucanier Golden Ale
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale
Eel River Brewing Company IPA
Rogue Mocha Porter
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
Fischer Amber (I was uncontrollably attracted to its amber Grolsch style flip top bottle)

This will be the first time tasting any of these style brews for me. Any opinions on these 6? Any other must try recommendations?

Mmmm....Sammy Smith oatmeal stout. I thought the Mocha Porter was OK, but nothing to write home about. I don't remember if I've had Bigfoot or not. The others I know I haven't had.

Happy sampling!

I had the Bigfoot this weekend and it was awesome. The only other barley wine I've had the pleasure of meeting was from Full Sail and I was very disappointed. But I thought I'd give the style another try and I'm glad I did. Inspires an attempt at homebrewed barleywine . . .

AHU

BrewBrothaRick said:
I went to the big liquor store on Friday and picked up one bottle each of these 6 brews:

Biere Du Boucanier Golden Ale
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale
Eel River Brewing Company IPA
Rogue Mocha Porter
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
Fischer Amber (I was uncontrollably attracted to its amber Grolsch style flip top bottle)

This will be the first time tasting any of these style brews for me. Any opinions on these 6? Any other must try recommendations?

I've only heard of Bigfoot, the Oatmeal Stout and the Rogue Mocha.

Loved the Bigfoot and the stout, not impressed at all with the Mocha Porter.

I bought the Bigfoot myself the other day and I wasn't particularly impressed. I think I like barleywines (haven't had enough to be positive) but I found the hop flavor of the bigfoot overwhelming. Not because of the IBUs, but because it seemed as though every bit of it came from one variety of hop (Cascade maybe?). I like a little more diversity.

It reminded of a terrible experiment I undertook a few weeks ago where I made several hops teas from the 3 or so different types of leftover hops I had from a brew. Hops tea with about .5 oz of hops in a cup of hot water is a little over the top.

Back