Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if using potatoes would leave a starch flavor . I guess if you mash the potato it will turn to sugar. I know they are the strongest hooch makers out there . potato water is the sh*t . also the best vodka around is made from them

I made 10 gallons of this 2 months ago and kegged it. Both of my kegs and some of the bottled beer from this batch have a medicine taste at the end of a sip. I have made this beer 10 times before without any problems so I was wondering if using flaked corn grains that are about 8 months old would have any effects creating this issue. Any thoughts?

drinking one of these right now . they do taste good . the longer they sit the better they taste . they also go good with sweet treats .

Yes you will be fine, cheers

For future users of S-33 yeast, I am Impressed. It was expired by 11 months underpitched by 33% and it is going crazy in my 11 gallon batch of cream of three crops. I used a starter and airlock activity began less than an hour after pitching. the key here was to use a starter. I think I will use starters more often after this expierience. will update when drinking if anyone cares!

Football Beer! Everything the same as the original recipe accept sub corn maze out for 3 pounds of grits. Fermented for three weeks. 2 weeks at 62 degrees last week at 68 degrees. Added .25 Tsp Amylase Enzyme last 5 days. This has only been on the keg for 2 days, so it's not really carbed yet. Thanks BM great lite beer yet again!:)

20131022_163910[1].jpg

this has to be the best recipe ever . It has been made into so many good beers without changing it into something totally different .

Does anyone know the shelf life of flaked corn? I used some that I bought a year ago and this batch did not turn out very well. I really enjoy making this beer so I will start with fresher flaked corn.

Any one have the krausen last for almost two weeks with this recipe? Only seems to do this when i use us-05. However this is the same yeast i used before just washed it and stored in the fridge. I have used other yeast in this recipe and have not had the krausen last more than 4-5 days. Or get as thick and foamy as the us-05 does for me just in this recipe? My last batch turned out great kept in the fermentor for almost 4 weeks since the krausen took so long to drop. Any affects in taste this might have?

Thanks,
PJ

Made a partial mash version of this yesterday for family for Thanksgiving. Hydrometer sample tasted very promising! Think this will be a real crowd pleaser.

Than you very much BierMuncher! This is the second recipe of yours I have brewed and both are wonderful!

Cheers for this recipe, BierMuncher! The boys at the workshop loved this one. (Malts were Munich and golden promise)
1397745_10151693413316478_276516143_o.jpg

Just brewed a batch of my take on this recipe this morning.
5 gallon
7 lbs 2-Row
1 lbs Flaked corn
14 oz Minute rice
90 min. @ 152 (started out around 155, ended up at 149ish in my 5 gallon Igloo)
90 min. boil, 8 gallons into the kettle
.75 oz Cascade @60 min
.25 oz Cascade @10 min
US-05 pitched at about 65 degrees

But, holy crap! I got 5 gallons into the fermenter @ 1.056! Beersmith estimated OG at 1.046. I hit the estimated Pre-boil at 1.040. What the heck am I missing? Did I just get better efficiency than expected? BS says measured eff. of 87.7%!

What's really got me scratching my head is that I mashed in with 12 quarts, and did two batch sparges of 2.5 gallons each (one was a bit more, maybe 2.75) and I got 8 gallons out. How the heck does that happen? Checked my BK story pole and it's right on.

Numbers are all over the place. Maybe I'm just not measuring as carefully as I should.

every once in a while i'll catch great efficiency as well, so it's possible. As far as the water goes, you must have added a bit more than 12 quarts in the beginning or during one of the sparge steps. Grain absorbtion would count for more than .25 gallon. Maybe you were off by a tick on your stick? I've done that before. There's an old brewers saying that goes"measure twice, boil once" or something like that :)

every once in a while i'll catch great efficiency as well, so it's possible. As far as the water goes, you must have added a bit more than 12 quarts in the beginning or during one of the sparge steps. Grain absorbtion would count for more than .25 gallon. Maybe you were off by a tick on your stick? I've done that before. There's an old brewers saying that goes"measure twice, boil once" or something like that :)

that is " drink twice boil one .. uhhh boil some ...oh uhh drink thrice boil ... fry ? hmm yeah, that thing I said , drink

I'm late to this thread so please forgive my not reading it all and finding the answer. Has someone brewed this and used Cry Havoc? I found it a year ago and love its lagerish ales.

I'll try it and report back, but it may be a bit..

Swifty,

I'm pretty new to brewing beer, I have done a lot of hard cider but only one batch of beer and it was an extract kit. I want to brew all grain and have done a ton of reading and watching videos and I think I am about ready, this seems like a good recipe for my first since I see a lot of comments saying it is an easy recipe and also because it looks like a cheap one in case I screw it up. One question I have though is since I have 7 tons of corn in my pole barn right now can I use that instead of flaked corn and how would I prepare it for the recipe?

I'm pretty new to brewing beer, I have done a lot of hard cider but only one batch of beer and it was an extract kit. I want to brew all grain and have done a ton of reading and watching videos and I think I am about ready, this seems like a good recipe for my first since I see a lot of comments saying it is an easy recipe and also because it looks like a cheap one in case I screw it up. One question I have though is since I have 7 tons of corn in my pole barn right now can I use that instead of flaked corn and how would I prepare it for the recipe?

Go buy some flaked corn for Christs sake . I am surrounded by corn but I go buy it . Why ? Because it is so much easier and cheaper .
Do you have a mill that can grind corn ? Not likely . as you know it is real hard .
sometimes it is just better to support the hard work of others and spread the wealth . support your LHBS and your community in the process. It will all come back to you in the end . What goes around comes around .

I'm late to this thread so please forgive my not reading it all and finding the answer. Has someone brewed this and used Cry Havoc? I found it a year ago and love its lagerish ales.

I'll try it and report back, but it may be a bit..

Swifty,

Blood and destruction shall be so in use
And dreadful objects so familiar
That mothers shall but smile when they behold
Their infants quarter'd with the hands of war;
All pity choked with custom of fell deeds:
And Caesar's spirit, ranging for revenge,
With Ate by his side come hot from hell,
Shall in these confines with a monarch's voice
Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

And that is my opinion

I brewed this today as my second all grain recipe. The first all grain (BIAB) was a disaster. I know it's not really the season for this beer but I am looking for a good light beer to have in stock all the time.

Anyways, my second all grain attempt was a success! I hit 80% efficiency and my OG was 1.045. I added an extra pound of 2 Row. I am very excited to try this.

For any Midwestern folks, my favorite light beer around here is Sun King Sunlight (cream ale). I am hoping this is as good or better!

What went wrong with your first BIAB?

Even though I was using a 5 gallon paint bag, the recipe I was making was definitely too much grain for the bag. So my theory was that the grain was too compressed and the water wasn't able to move through it freely enough. I hit less than 60% efficiency and had to add some DME to raise the OG.

That's the theory, anyways.

EDIT: So this time I used a much larger bag.

I just made this with biab no chill. I hope this turns out great. A great brew day. This was my first biab. I ended up with a little over 6 gallons

ClemTiger0408 said:
Even though I was using a 5 gallon paint bag, the recipe I was making was definitely too much grain for the bag. So my theory was that the grain was too compressed and the water wasn't able to move through it freely enough. I hit less than 60% efficiency and had to add some DME to raise the OG.

That's the theory, anyways.

EDIT: So this time I used a much larger bag.

I tried this as my first and it went south quick. My mash temps were all wrong and o got no conversion at all. Ended up making a 2% abv. Still tasted ok though. I hope to revisit this later.

acarr160 said:
I tried this as my first and it went south quick. My mash temps were all wrong and o got no conversion at all. Ended up making a 2% abv. Still tasted ok though. I hope to revisit this later.

Well, not a total loss, at 2% you made Coors Light, bet it was still better tasting.

Just brewed this over the weekend. I split this into two carboys and tried Notty yeast in one and US-05 in another. I'm trying to grasp the differences in their flavor profile. The only thing that went wrong is I ended up with 12 gal instead of 10-11. This isn't terrible but it did lower my OG down to about 1.036. I should have boiled off another gallon.

Brewed this one over the weekend. I did add 6oz German Wheat to the grits making it: Cream of Four Crops. I did a step mash 130 > 149 > 168. The day went smooth. Spit batch using WY1056 & WY1007.

The only difference I noticed from my regular routine & outcome was an enormous quantity of hot break in the kettle. It was my first beer using adjuncts. Could they the cause of the additional hot break?

Yes I use 2 row all the time. Works just as good.

Yeah, the original recipe calls for pale ale (2 row) malt. I will need to order more, but I have plenty of Pilsner malt (also 2 row). Your post was a bit confusing. You've used pilsner malt? Thinking I'm just going to order more malt and save my Pilsner for something else.

TD

Just brewed a batch of my take on this recipe this morning.
5 gallon
7 lbs 2-Row
1 lbs Flaked corn
14 oz Minute rice
90 min. @ 152 (started out around 155, ended up at 149ish in my 5 gallon Igloo)
90 min. boil, 8 gallons into the kettle
.75 oz Cascade @60 min
.25 oz Cascade @10 min
US-05 pitched at about 65 degrees

But, holy crap! I got 5 gallons into the fermenter @ 1.056! Beersmith estimated OG at 1.046. I hit the estimated Pre-boil at 1.040. What the heck am I missing? Did I just get better efficiency than expected? BS says measured eff. of 87.7%!

What's really got me scratching my head is that I mashed in with 12 quarts, and did two batch sparges of 2.5 gallons each (one was a bit more, maybe 2.75) and I got 8 gallons out. How the heck does that happen? Checked my BK story pole and it's right on.

Numbers are all over the place. Maybe I'm just not measuring as carefully as I should.

Following up. 10 days of US-05 has this down to 1.012 making this a 6% Cream Ale. Yikes!

Hydro sample was pretty tasty, though.

My follow up! I used s-33 yeast that was my only regret! it tastes great, but I feel like im drinking odouls! I figure my abv was at about 3.0% I can drink 6 of these or one of my normal beers if I want to feel the buzz! lol

the s-33 didnt ferment out like us o5 or thats what I think anyway, mayby the corn and rice had somthing to do with it.

My follow up! I used s-33 yeast that was my only regret! it tastes great, but I feel like im drinking odouls! I figure my abv was at about 3.0% I can drink 6 of these or one of my normal beers if I want to feel the buzz! lol

the s-33 didnt ferment out like us o5 or thats what I think anyway, mayby the corn and rice had somthing to do with it.

3% ? what was your OG ? It is not a big beer but I think , without checking , that it is 4.* % .Or maybe more .
If you get too much alcohol in this it would affect the flavor as it is so light . I bump mine up a bit usually with more rice but not too far .

3% ? what was your OG ? It is not a big beer but I think , without checking , that it is 4.* % .Or maybe more .
If you get too much alcohol in this it would affect the flavor as it is so light . I bump mine up a bit usually with more rice but not too far .

dont have exact notes, but I think og was 1.045

Latest posts

Back