Priming brett dubbel with maltodextrin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robodo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to bottle my first brett beer. This is a dubbel that had wyeast 1214 in primary and brett b added to secondary. Does it make sense to use maltodextrin to prime bottles instead of corn sugar? I'm thinking that if the 1214 can't eat maltodextrin, I'll get funkier results relying only on the brett. Is this sound thinking?

Thanks!

late reply...

for the amount you're adding, i don't think it'll make much of a difference - but certainly can't hurt to try. i would expect it to take a lot longer to prime, since brett is slow-acting, so if you can't wait a month for it to carbonate (or can't keep it somewhere warm enough that long) you might want to go with sugar.

how long ago did you pitch the 1214? if your beer has been bulk-aging for several months, the 1214 might be dead anyways and you're dependent on the brett for carbonation.

since i'm late to this party: what did you end up doing?

EDIT: nevermind, you got your answers on the duplicate thread - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/maltodextrin-priming-sugar-393157/

Back