successful first brew!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewN

Reaction score
Just finished my first brew. Was fun can't wait to expand my equipment. Most importantly I think I need a wort chiller. Will be making my own

Did my hydrometer test and I think.. If reading it right I got 1.030 .. My. Extract kit was Irish red ale. Anyone know if that's in the right range?

Also when I was transporting my ferm bucket I hit a stair and it shook the bucket with yeast sitting on top of wort, is that ok? Yeast is probably submerged

damnit. What could have made the gravity be so low? what are the effects on my alcohol content?

I did top off with the coldest water my tap provides lol. Can i still get an accurate reading?

As long as your water volumes were correct and you used all of the extract in the kit, the gravity of your wort should match your kit's directions.

I just finished my first batch earlier tonight, which was Irish red ale, and it was suggested to be 1.057, but my hydrometer was reading in the 1.040~ region. Since it was my first, I had a few, and decided to have a good time.

Back