1st AG 1st Hot Break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atimmerman88

Reaction score
4 extract batches with no hot break, did my first AG batch today and nearly had a boil over?

Coincidence or dumb luck ?

That's a good thing- after the hot break you can start adding your hops with no risk of boilover. And you don't have to watch the pot after the hot break. Two advantages, I guess!

And that's right what I did...an oz in the pot and I hop on the lawn mower.

Multitasking at its finest

The reason you got little if any hot break with extract batches was the the majority of the break in those happened at the maltser when they were making your extract. That's why if there's any it's a small amount, as opposed to doing all grain, where the first time the wort is boiled is when you boil it....

I guess that kinda makes sense. It was an exciting day.

There was something about watching the grain transform.

Missed OG by about 10pts but I made it through the day so well see what happens

Hard to picture. I've done a bunch of extract kits and every one created the ton of foam that had to be stirred down and spritzed with my spray bottle of cold water. Wonder if you had enough heat to create a crazy rolling boil???

Fermcaps, worth every penny if you are brewing best your pots capacity...I can do 6.5 gallons in a 8 gallon pot without any issues...I will never brew without it now

I used the same equipment with my burner at more or less the same temp. I do full boils as well.

My turkey fryer seems to get things up to boil at a reasonable amount of time, who knows.

Back