Gun license renewal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
So for our American friends that aren't aware, we introduced a new licensing and registration program for firearms some time ago. It turned into a massive money sinkhole for taxpayers. It's a very controversial subject because on one side you have the group that says the program is expensive and ineffective and on the other you have people who say it's imperative to get a handle on gun crime. I belong to the former group.

So, to try and appease the anti-control group they have waived the fee for renewing the license. To appease all Canadian taxpayers they are trying to reduce the massive cost of this program. So now the renewal comes with a request for a current picture. The criteria for the picture is expressly outlined as to size and content. For instance, you are allowed to smile but can't wear a hat. The face in the picture must be current, not cropped from another photograph, conforms to a certain size, etc, etc.

I feel the program is a complete waste of money but I have to comply in order to keep my firearms. So comply I did. They made no mention of clothing (other than the hat) or jewelery. This is the result.

Please note the poofy pink boa. I think it accents the little spiky hair tufts very nicely. Too bad you can't see all the little multicolored beads at the end of every one of those spikes. At least the dangly earring in my right ear is clearly visible. Unfortunately we forgot the lipstick and eyeliner and had to settle on the goofy facial expression.

I feel this picture is very suitable considering the nature of the gun control program. A goofy, ridiculous picture is perfect for a goofy, ridiculous program.

7601-gunlicense.jpg

What an absolute HOOT! Gotta love it!

I see you can possess one. But it's gotta be locked up, disabled, and ammo is illegal, right?

Priceless. I've had my issues with those dingbats as well. Apparently, free renewal only applies to the new license format, not renewal from the old FAC. Even though the FAC tests are what is used as a basis for issuing new license.

EdWort said:
What an absolute HOOT! Gotta love it!

I see you can possess one. But it's gotta be locked up, disabled, and ammo is illegal, right?

Naw, you don't have to disable it, but the gun and the ammo have to both be locked up.

mr x said:
Priceless. I've had my issues with those dingbats as well. Apparently, free renewal only applies to the new license format, not renewal from the old FAC. Even though the FAC tests are what is used as a basis for issuing new license.

We haven't had the FAC program for years now. If you don't already have the new license you shouldn't have any firearms. Are all your guns registered too?

Hope not.

Fingers said:
Naw, you don't have to disable it, but the gun and the ammo have to both be locked up.
;)

That's good. We don't have that rule here in Texas, though my guns & ammo are locked up, together, like in loaded. Then again, there's the Mossberg 590 loaded on top of shelf in my bedroom closet.

Kind of interesting you felt it necessary to black out your gender too. But with a pink boa, maybe that's in question too! What a hoot!

"The only way they'll get my guns is when they peel my cold dead fingers off them.
":rockin:

Boy, I'm glad(?)to see that we aren't the only country with an ongoing firearms debate on our hands. I like your response, too! You should have used something that looked like a mug shot, though, or something to make you look like a serial killer.:D

Don't know for sure but I think AZ has the loosest gun laws: Snapshot below

Purchase waiting period? No
Handgun require safety training? No
Register guns with law enforcement? No
Background checks required at gun shows? No
Do state police and federal NICS perform a background check? Yes
Is it mandatory that locking devices be sold with guns? No
Is a license or permit required to buy handguns? No
Are background checks required on 'private' gun sales? No
Are there any restrictions regarding minors possessing guns? Yes
May the police limit carrying concealed handguns? No
Permit to carry handguns? Yes

You need a permit for concealed, but if you want to walk around like John Wayne with a holster on your belt it just has to be licensed. And yes, they do that around here.

Bernie Brewer said:
You should have used something that looked like a mug shot, though, or something to make you look like a serial killer.:D

I tried that last time but I didn't have a digital camera. We tried using a camcorder and a digital capture card but we were a little tipsy and couldn't keep a straight face. I had three or four days of stubble and my hair all mussed up but the sun in my eyes from shooting outdoors made me squint so much I couldn't look mean. I ran out of time so I had to just pop into a center where they were doing everything for you. I was going to try killer again this year but someone came up with this idea instead.

Maybe in 2012 I'll go from twink to serial killer.

DesertBrew said:
You need a permit for concealed, but if you want to walk around like John Wayne with a holster on your belt it just has to be licensed. And yes, they do that around here.

You can open carry in VA, no license required. If you're legal to own it you can carry it. Still need a permit for concealed carry, though.

Buford said:
You can open carry in VA, no license required. If you're legal to own it you can carry it. Still need a permit for concealed carry, though.

Cool. Who needs a CCL when you can strap a Ruger Blackhawk 44 Magnum to your belt. :D

Don't get the idea that Canada has more restrictive laws than the US, Ollllo. With regards to guns we're pretty strict, but in many other areas we're far more progressive, especially when it comes to civil liberties.

Oh, sorry, Ollllo. I thought you were implying that we didn't have freedom of expression. Heh. Oops. Sorry to get my back up like that. I'm a bit of a flag waver.

You know, technically I guess you could were KISS makeup provided it isn't photoshopped in. I'll bet they kick it back though. I don't think I'd want to try pushing things that far. I have a possession only ticket which means I can't legally purchase any other firearms. They don't issue them anymore. If it expires I have to take a course and then apply for a possession and acquisition certificate. If my current license expires, I can neither possess nor transfer my firearms. That means I have to turn them over to the authorities for disposal.

They would have to come and get them.

Save a space for me. I'm packing my stuff tonight!

DesertBrew said:
Don't know for sure but I think AZ has the loosest gun laws: Snapshot below

Purchase waiting period? No
Handgun require safety training? No
Register guns with law enforcement? No
Background checks required at gun shows? No
Do state police and federal NICS perform a background check? Yes
Is it mandatory that locking devices be sold with guns? No
Is a license or permit required to buy handguns? No
Are background checks required on 'private' gun sales? No
Are there any restrictions regarding minors possessing guns? Yes
May the police limit carrying concealed handguns? No
Permit to carry handguns? Yes

Fingers, that is bad ass..

pldoolittle said:
Save a space for me. I'm packing my stuff tonight!
Doesnt sound to far from Florida's gun law. Wonder how you guys get around the brady law and the 3 day waiting period for handguns.
You could walk around with a gun holstered to your hip but you'll garner a bunch of funny looks.

There's no waiting period in VA either. Never has been, excepting some backwards localities that got pre-empted by state law a few years back. The Brady waiting period never happened in VA since we already had an "instant check" system in place when it became law.

Texas has some pretty lax gun laws as well. I just bought a new CCW gun and buying was a breeze. I also don't have to renew my CHL for another 10 years. 12 hour CHL class sucked.

My main issue with Texas's laws is that open carry is illegal there. Why? It's friggin' Texas, and it's HOT!

Here in Nebraska you can technically carry openly, but if you did you can bet your a$$ the police would stop you and give you a hard time. We just passed a CC law. I haven't really had any desire to apply, though.

Latest posts

Back