Doing my pre-hopped IPA today.. need some help altering recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonabb

Reaction score
I have this 3.3lb LME Coopers IPA with their dry yeast. The recipes calls for an additional 500 grams DME and 300 grams dextrose. I want to use DME instead of the sugar and have a 2lb bag (904 grams total), can I just use the whole bag os hould I get it down to 800 grams total? I read on another thread where someone said to substitute the sugar for DME and add 20% more DME?

Also, thinking of adding some oak chips? In the boil or in the fermentor?

3.3LBS of DME and 2 lbs of DME leads to an OG of 1.043. With 800g of DME, you'd get 1.041. I don't see any reason to measure it, just put the whole bag in. At 1.043 you're still pretty low for IPA. At 75% attenuation, your ABV will end up around 4.3%.

Yes , when I was doing extract I would always shoot a little more ahead of the called amount. I would add the 1 # bag and that will get you into IPA territory. Also hop the sh-t out of that. You will be surprised how much less hop flavor , aroma , and bitter you get while following a kit. they way under hop.

Cheers and good luck

Well, I never did add the extra LB because I was in the process of brewing and never got an answer. Oh well. It would have helped, my OG was 1.046 so it's a little low for an IPA but I did hop it to death. I boiled and hopped at 60 and 15.

I just opened my first stout from my first ever brew and it was bad, or at least not to my expectations. So in order to not have that feeling of being unwhelmed, I hopped it good to try to make it better. I think the stout sucked because I used 300 grams of sugar instead of DME in the recipe. Very little taste and a bitter alcoholy finish.

We'll see...

Back