A question about bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanC

Reaction score
At the moment I have one tiny space in my house where I can store all of my brewing – it’s an old furnace room. In order to keep this room at the right temperature range I need to keep a light burning, which brings the temp up sufficiently to let the yeast do their thing.

My question is this: When I bottle my next batch in a day or two, is there any significant chance of the light from this bulb interfering with the carbonation process going on inside the bottles while I leave them to condition for the next few weeks? I’m wondering if I need to cover them up somehow or if I can just leave them exposed to this light source and not have to worry about it?

Thoughts appreciated.

Best bet would be to cover them.

Depending on how bright the light is, and the bottles you use (dark brown bottles, right?) it may not make that much difference in a few weeks, but better to be safe than sorry, right?

Actually I'm using green ones (I snagged 100 brand new grolsch flip top bottles). I agree that it's better to be safe than sorry, but I'm curious if I can get a definative answer about this.

So you want a definitive answer about a light bulb in your house affecting your beer. Ok I'll say definitively yes. Just cover the bottles. I just use old cases and fill them up or use other boxes. Cover with a sheet too if you want.

So you want a definitive answer about a light bulb in your house affecting your beer. Ok I'll say definitively yes. Just cover the bottles. I just use old cases and fill them up or use other boxes. Cover with a sheet too if you want.

Definateive answer appreciated;)

Back