Beer Fining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart

Reaction score
I recently used beer fining for the first time. I put it in the fermenter 2 days before I was due to bottle, and find out now there was not enough yeast to carbonate the bottled brew.
I am going to use the fining gel on Sunday but siphon the brew into a barrel this time. Should I add the fining to the fermenter for just 1 day? or add it when it goes into the barrel? I suppose you don't need it to get too carbonated in the barrel as I use a cO2 cannister anyway.

What would you suggest?

I used gelatin once at bottling time years ago. I don't remeber how the carbonation came out, but it did very well at settling the yeast.

i used gelatin for the first time a month ago. it cleared the beer great, and there was plenty of yeast left for carbonation.... (eyeing the foamy head on my home brew right now.)

-walker

I know a guy who uses gelatin and polyclar and he has enough yeast in his beer at bottling to get carbonation. And the beer is very clear.

Its probably because you put it in the fermenter, you should put it in the bottling bucket when you bottle (or put it straight into the keg). You should get nice clear carbonated beer

Silva

when I used gelatin, I put it in the secondary about 2 or 3 days before I bottled. (this is the commonly described way to use it.) I had no isues with carbonation at all.

-walker

Walker said:
when I used gelatin, I put it in the secondary about 2 or 3 days before I bottled. (this is the commonly described way to use it.) I had no isues with carbonation at all.

-walker
This is what I have been told to do also, and will tttry it this weekend with the two batches I have in my secondaries currently.
I'm kinda doing a litttle experiement with the two nearly identical batches.

if you are worried about carbonation, you might try to INTENTIONALLY suck up a little bit of the trub from your fermenter when you rack to the bottling bucket. That will guarantee that there is enough yeast in there to do the job.

-walker

Latest posts

Back