Finally some Brutus Pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreebootersBrewing

Reaction score
Well, I've been getting some help from you guys on my brutus build so I figured I owed you some pics.

I brewed my first beer on it yesterday, an ordinary bitter. Everything went fairly well. I over shot my O.G. by 10 points so I'm getting a pretty damn good efficiency on it.

Enjoy!

IMGP2182.jpg

IMGP2172.jpg

The mash tun with Blichmann Auto Sparge
IMGP2176.jpg

The boil kettle with whirlpool return
IMGP2177.jpg

IMGP2184.jpg

Sparging
IMGP2185.jpg

One more during the boil. Those paint strainers work awesome and so does the whirlpool return when cooling.

IMGP2186.jpg

Nice Rig! What's that thingy on top of the pot. The thing with the 3 arms and what looks like some pvc tube.
Thanks

Thank you very much for the compliments!

Nice Rig! What's that thingy on top of the pot. The thing with the 3 arms and what looks like some pvc tube.
Thanks

rmullins is correct, that's my hop strainer. There's a 1-gallon paint straining bag attached to the bottom and that's what my hops go in. It worked really well. I couldn't find a hose clamp big enough for that PVC piece so I used some stainless steel zip ties that I had laying around.

The mash tun with Blichmann Auto Sparge
IMGP2176.jpg

How do you like the Blichmann AutoSparge? I'm considering using it on my single-tier HERMS system I'm building. Seems like a great way to maintain a constant level in the MLT without having to go crazy matching in/out rates during fly sparging.

VERY nice. Thanks for posting pics. I'll be building or buying something new soon. Thanks for the research help
:)

How do you like the Blichmann AutoSparge? I'm considering using it on my single-tier HERMS system I'm building. Seems like a great way to maintain a constant level in the MLT without having to go crazy matching in/out rates during fly sparging.

Functionally it worked....ok, it will never shut completely off if you're using a pump, there's too much pressure behind it. But it will slow to a tiny trickle so it's not a big deal.

Also, I noticed that even though I was recirculating the whole time, I had a hot spot in my mash at the point where the return tube sits.
I know some out there use only a high temp silicone hose that they lay on top of their mash to recirc. Do they see the same hot spots?

I just assembled my Blichmans yesterday and posted pics here...

I installed the AutoSparge in my MLT too...

Now, I used to use a cooler and and a single return line in my old HERMS, but the mash water just returned to a "pool" on top of the bed, so Id expect that pool temp to be homogenous as it filtered down...

Freebooters,
I live about 2 1/2 hours from you. Wished we could have a Brutus Brew Day. I'm getting ready to brew my first batch on my Brutus, which will be a Helles.

Very nice by the way.

Back