Brewing at a friends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
In about a hour or so I am heading over to a buddys with my equipment to show him how to brew a batch of beer. It takes awhile to get over there plus we still need to pick up some misc supplies, so we are looking about between 4 and 5 hours before pitching the yeast.

I have a pack of Wyeast smack pac and I went ahead and smacked it about 20 mins ago. Will it be ready to use in about 4 hours or will I have to wait longer?

Thanks

damn.. I had everything ready to move out last night and forgot the smack the pack.

So do you think I should just brew the batch over there, stick a airlock on it and pitch the yeast when I get it back home.

Cregar said:
damn.. I had everything ready to move out last night and forgot the smack the pack.

So do you think I should just brew the batch over there, stick a airlock on it and pitch the yeast when I get it back home.
Keep the smack pack warm and if it has expanded go ahead and pitch it. If not you could do as you suggested and wait until you get home, Enjoy the day!

Heading out... thanks for the advice!! Have a great (& safe) New Years Eve.

Cregar out...

I'd pitch it personally. They're just a mini-starter; it'll still be yeast at 4 hours. :)

Well... the brew session went great!!! My buddy had a great time, he's looking forward to brewing more.

It ended up being around 7 pm lastnight before we pitched the yeast. It took us awhile to get brewing. The batch started fermenting around 3 am in the morning and is going great right now. Man I love those smack paks!!

homebrewer_99 said:
:confused: ...and why isn't he coming to your place? It seems like you're doing all the work...

I live in a small apartment... 2 people wouldn't fit in the kithen at the same time. He has a HUGE kitchen plus a unheated pool (50 degrees) which we will use to cool the work :)

Back