BeerSmith Mash Tun Weight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blindguardian

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have the typical 10 gal Rubbermaid MLT and I would like to know what others that have this drink cooler has their mash tun weight set to?

Can someone explain to me what the mash tun weight is used for?

thanks in advance!

From BeerSmith's website:

Mash Tun Weight - Enter the weight of your mash tun (excluding extra equipment/tubes/etc) This parameter is used to calculate the thermal mass of your mash tun when adjusting mash temperatures for your equipment.

--------------------

I believe you can accomplish the same thing by placing a specific volume and temp of hot water and measuring the temp drop over an hour.

Hope this helps.

Just set you tun on a scale and measure it.

As said before it's to estimate the thermal mass to account for losses and strike temps.

Thanks guys that is what I needed to know.

Just set you tun on a scale and measure it.
So I did place it on a digital scale and its weight with the lid on was 10 lbs.

I believe you can accomplish the same thing by placing a specific volume and temp of hot water and measuring the temp drop over an hour.

I did this a few months ago for BeerTools Pro I use on my Mac Book Pro

This feature works really well for me. I have an ice chest mash tun at 9 lbs and a keggle that I occasionally mash with at 30 lbs. I hit temp pretty spot-on with this adjustment. The rule of thumb though is to make sure you keep your grain and tun in the same room overnight, especially in the winter time. Also, never just go by the strike temp on the recipe that drops in there when you select your mash profile. Always use the strike temp calculator to get a more accurate measurement that takes current temps into consideration. I've been using beersmith for over a year now and this has been my experience with some of the nuances of the software.

What if I have a plastic cooler as the mash tun and copper tubing as the false bottom ?

Do I need to weigh the copper tubing and the plastic mash tun seperatly and
then calculate what is the final mash tun specific heat (I don't know how to do that) ?

Back