Using Galvanized Steel for Burner Wind Shield

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reshp1

Reaction score
My Bayou Classic SQ14 burner seems to struggle quite a bit in the wind. I was thinking of using a section of circular heating duct to build a quick and dirty heat wind shield. The problem is, the stuff is made out of galvanized steel. Are there any potential issues (toxic fumes?) from using this stuff next to so much heat? Any other easy ideas for a windshield? (I unfortunately don't have access to many tools and no welding equipment so it's got to be pretty simple)

My burner stands 14" tall, I wrapped 3 sides with 12" galvanized sheet and left a 2" gap at the bottom to let air in, and it works awesome. I find that I get a much more efficient boil with it on. I put it on with wing nuts so I could easily remove it if it was a problem, but I have had none.

Burner21.jpg

Burner11.jpg

reshp1 said:
Are there any potential issues (toxic fumes?)
Yes...but you'll know right away if it's a problem.
IF Galvanized metal gets hot enough, you will burn the coating off. A good example of this is welding. It will make you very sick if you breathe it. The simple solution is to try it. If you get sick, and I doubt you will, Go to fresh air, and believe it or not, Milk will stop the vomiting. I've had to do this a few times welding where I shouldn't have been...and well...It won't kill you.

BigKahuna said:
IF Galvanized metal gets hot enough, you will burn the coating off. A good example of this is welding. It will make you very sick if you breathe it. The simple solution is to try it. If you get sick, and I doubt you will, Go to fresh air, and believe it or not, Milk will stop the vomiting. I've had to do this a few times welding where I shouldn't have been...and well...It won't kill you.

I haven't had any of the problems that BigKahuna states. Although I boil out in the middle of the patio and their is plenty of fresh air, (and wind, hence the sheet metal :D ). It actually never got that hot during a boil, most of the heat goes up.

enderwig said:
It actually never got that hot during a boil, most of the heat goes up.

I think you're right, I looked it up and the vaporization point of zinc is 1650F. I don't think a windscreen on the sides of the burner will get nearly that hot. In fact I have a chimney starter that's made out of galvanized steel, and I'm sure that gets a lot hotter. I'll keep a gallon of milk handy just in case though. :D

BigKahuna said:

+1

Working in a HVAC dust shop taught me the same lesson. Milk can be your friend.
Be very careful with galvanized fumes.

what about a windscreen that encircles the burner itself (about 2" clearance) as opposed to being outside of the burner housing? Would it reach that heat do you think? I'm using a SQ14 Banjo for instance. If it did, is it a matter of burning it off and then you're fine or is it a constant threat?

i wouldn't trust it THAT close to it. you could always buy a corny keg and chop it up, you can find them for pretty cheap.
i need to do the same thing here soon because my other burner has absolutely no wind screen to speak of

GTAW and GMAW runs between 6 and 8000 degrees C, and often has the welders face within, or right close to the smoke generated.

Using galv for a heat shield isn't going to give you metal fume fever.

It won't kill you.

There have been people on my blacksmiths forum who have died from heating galvanized steel without proper ventilation. It can kill you. Is it likely to kill you, no. Test it with your pot on the burner (to redirect the heat how it will in use). If you get smoke. The easy solution is use aluminum, no risk there.

I used a piece of galvanized around my burner and I burned some of the coating off. I was in front of the garage with the door wide open. No problems, but it's not as pretty as it was.

Would the black stovepipe sections be any better?

The zinc burns really smoky, often with a greenish haze. You can't not notice it. And if it's hot enough to burn off... well it can only burn off once. So you're good to go now.

My brew stand is made of aluminum, it supports the kettle, most aluminum looses it structure around 1000°F, and this has supporteded 120lbs under intense heat for 2 hours at a time multiple times.

Based on that, I would think your windscreen would be fine. My aluminum can heatsink to other areas better, but it also has a lower melting temp, so I'd say it is even.

If anything reduce the height a little to let the hot gasses out, that will help the metal and probably wont hurt the windscreen performance.

and well...It won't kill you.

that is dangerously untrue. metal fume fever can certainly kill you. the risk depends on the amount you inhale, if the area is well ventalated, how much galvanizing there is, etc.

metal fume fever killed this guy...
http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor.php?lesson=safety3/demo

that being said- i do use a section of 10" galavanized duct around my burners. my brew rig is outside in the open, so fumes wont collect anywhere. after the coating is burned off, it will stop producing fumes, so the first time you fire it up will be the most dangerous one. i turned the burners on full blast and left it alone for a good 15 minutes and made sure to stand upwind.

if you brew in a basement or somewhere indoors, i would definately not use anything galvanized.

Back