Yeast for an american wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjbalough

Reaction score
Stopped at a hbs the other day and picked up the ingredients for a simple american wheat (DME, Crystal 10, cascade hops) and I asked for whatever yeast they'd reccomend. They gave me safeale 06. Should I go with this or should I pick up something else? Would I be happier with 05? I have some harvested 1056 but its been in the fridge about a month -unwashed & in a capped beer bottle. Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Based on something I heard on a Brewing Network podcast, I used the Wyeast 2656 Kolsch yeast for an American Wheat I made and people seemed to really like it. I had just made a Kolsch so I was repitching, but I don't see why you couldn't use a fresh pitch.

John

From Fermentis:

Safbrew WB-06

A speciality yeast selected for wheat beer fermentations. The yeast produces subtle estery and phenol flavour notes typical of wheat beers. The choice of Wheat or Weizen bier fans. Available in 11.5g sachets

Since you have this why not use it?

OR
Why not Wyeast 1010 American Wheat?? For an AMERICAN wheat beer...

I like the 1010. Did not have good results with the kolsch yeast.

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the kolsch yeast? I brewed this last spring and I don't remember exactly how mine tasted, but I remember everyone who sampled it commenting that it had a different taste (than what they were expecting from a wheat beer, I guess), and another brewer really liking it. To each their own :mug:

John

I have used 1010 and 1050. Both work well depending on exactly what you are looking for. They will be much less adventurous than some of the others.

Kolsh yeast is great for an American Wheat. Ferment cool and lager for a couple weeks. My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1 on kolsch yeast. Perfect yeast for an American wheat IMO.

Cal ale would work as well

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Another +1 for the kolsch yeast.
And another -1 for WB 06. Its a german wheat yeast, (i.e. clove/banana, especially with warmer ferment temps). OP states he wants an american wheat, WB 06 has no business in there.

Kolsch only if you have good temperature control. Actually with any of them you'll want to ferment on the cool side of the range for reduced esters.

American wheat. I would use us-05. Nice and clean ferment 62 ish. Will be good. I've made quite a few American wheats with bitty, and us-05. Liked the 05 better flavor wise. As for flocculation. The notty definitively drops better.

Sent from my PG86100 using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks, I'll get some 05 or kolsch yeast. Its my first wheat and I want to keep it simple and "clean". Would my wyeast 1056 by OK, since its about the same as the 05? Or should I pass since its been hanging for about a month? Temp control is KISS - basement is mid 50's +- depending on weather conditions.

Hmm...I haven't made a starter yet. Can anyone offer some Keep It Simple Stupid yeast starter guidance or link? If not, I'll search.

Everyone, thanks for the input!

Hmm...I haven't made a starter yet. Can anyone offer some Keep It Simple Stupid yeast starter guidance or link? If not, I'll search.

Everyone, thanks for the input!

make a liter or so of wort, put in a flask or some sort of container, a wine jug for instance. shake it around a bit to aerate then dump the liquid yeast in and cover the hole with foil. shake it a bit whenever you walk by. you can chill, decant and add fresh wort if you want even more yeast or you can just pour it in if you have a large enough vessel to handle the volume.
a stir-plate is nice but not critical, i have one and sometimes shut it off after the yeast take off then pour the entire thing into the wort on my brewday.

Perfect! Thanks...how long should the starter brew? 1 day, 2-3 days?....

Perfect! Thanks...how long should the starter brew? 1 day, 2-3 days?....

depends on many things but 3 days is a safe bet. i like to pitch the whole thing when it's at high krausen so that is starts cracking right away. some people cold crash the starter, decant the beer then pitch the slurry. nothing wrong with that either. i don't let a huge vortex form, let it get hot or let the stir plate go for days so the beer does not get oxidized or funky and i can pitch the entire thing.

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the kolsch yeast? I brewed this last spring and I don't remember exactly how mine tasted, but I remember everyone who sampled it commenting that it had a different taste (than what they were expecting from a wheat beer, I guess), and another brewer really liking it. To each their own :mug:

John

I think it was a combination of things.

1) Too much wheat (45%)

2) Checking my notes, I used 3.5 mL of lactic acid, which seems like a ton. Usually 2 mL gets my mash right.

3) The addition of orange, lemon, and lime zest.

This beer had probably some astringency, and was somewhat sour (not in a good way). Looking back, I think it was probably the lactic acid combined with the zest that did not react well. So blame it on the brewer, not the yeast.

But thinking about it, had I added lacto to my recipe it's basically a berlinerweisse. Yum.

Back