What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, it's so bad. I've frequently described the flavor as a soy sauce coated piece of cardboard used as a dog bed. And it coats your tongue like oil and there's no easy way to get the flavor out of your mouth. The worst part is I bought three bottles of it because I was so excited to have seen it. That was about six years ago. Once the first drop hit my tongue the excitement turned to horror, then denial. After the second taste it turned to acceptance and then regret. ;)

You have discovered the 4 stages of "Grieving over Bad Beer."

This might not be the worst beer I've had, but it disappointed me the most. Alpine Brewings and New Belgium's Super IPA. I've heard incredible things about Alpine's hoppy beers, but it seems that anything New Belgium touches turns to crap. Not very hoppy, and too many malty/weird flavors in that beer. Ugh.

Anything by 21st Amendment brewing, ESPECIALLY their watermelon ale. I would bet you couldn't tell the difference between it and watered down bud light in a side by side.

I disagree, well on the 21st Amendment part. Haven't had the watermelon ale. But the Marooned on Hog Island is some good stuff.

Ruination with jalapeno. It's already Ruination, and then you've got this crazy acid-y heat on it. The type of acidity that makes you ruminate on the upcoming severe heartburn you will face. Dumped the 4 oz or so sample into the garbage after just a few sips.

Ruination with jalapeno. It's already Ruination, and then you've got this crazy acid-y heat on it. The type of acidity that makes you ruminate on the upcoming severe heartburn you will face. Dumped the 4 oz or so sample into the garbage after just a few sips.

Ruination is good, why in the world would they add such a flavor as jalapeno? I just can't imagine that would even be decent.

Oh, it's so bad. I've frequently described the flavor as a soy sauce coated piece of cardboard used as a dog bed. And it coats your tongue like oil and there's no easy way to get the flavor out of your mouth. The worst part is I bought three bottles of it because I was so excited to have seen it. That was about six years ago. Once the first drop hit my tongue the excitement turned to horror, then denial. After the second taste it turned to acceptance and then regret. ;)

It actually makes tasty ice cream. A guy from my homebrew club used it in a batch of vanilla he made at home and when it is diluted down quite a bit, it doesn't taste too bad.

I have a hard time enjoying anything that feels like it was swill that they back sweetened or otherwise modified to make something palatable...like every pumpkin beer I've ever tried (honest, I'm trying to like them), or the "whiskey barrel" aged stuff that tastes like they just poured a bottle of whiskey in the secondary, or the ciders that have been so heavily backsweetened (I like to say 'produced' flavor) they probably would have had an easier time just adding apple juice to some vodka.

and Leini Summer Shandy? not anywhere near my top ten list, but its excellent around 2PM on a hot Saturday after 3 hours of yard work.

I have a hard time enjoying anything that feels like it was swill that they back sweetened or otherwise modified to make something palatable...like every pumpkin beer I've ever tried (honest, I'm trying to like them), or the "whiskey barrel" aged stuff that tastes like they just poured a bottle of whiskey in the secondary, or the ciders that have been so heavily backsweetened (I like to say 'produced' flavor) they probably would have had an easier time just adding apple juice to some vodka.

and Leini Summer Shandy? not anywhere near my top ten list, but its excellent around 2PM on a hot Saturday after 3 hours of yard work.

Leines Berry Weisse. Not a world class beer. Not really anything more than a wine cooler. But man, I can pound them. I drink them so fast the top of the beer and the bottom of the beer hit my mouth at the same time.

Absolutely gross...........

wildblue_wallpaper_lge.jpg

Ingredients, as far as the brewer will tell you, are 2row, 6row, American and German hops, cereals, and blueberries... sounds good, doesn't taste good.
When I first read the title, a local brewery's beer immediately came to mind. It's Rivertown's blueberry lager. It's probably similar to the Wildblue one. I like some fruity beers and have had a couple good blueberry beers (including Elicottville's blueberry beer from draught at their brewery with fresh blueberries = yum). But Rivertown's is pretty bad. Lager is bad and blueberry flavor is bad.

Anything DFH makes that isn't an IPA is terrible to me. I went to the brewpub and tried 90% of their beers and almost all were syrup. They didn't ferment or they were trying to do way to much with the beer
Going to have to agree with this. I appreciate they are taking risks, but most of it is lost on me apparently.

Another bad beer I've had was "Chili Beer". The even have a terrible website. I know it's supposed to be spicy, but it was just way over the top spicy that it was terrible.

Wild Blue clone recipe:

half a cup of blue slurpee syrup
2 shots of 5 O'Clock Vodka (or Heaven Hill)
seltzer water to top off

Mix up in a pint glass

My biggest issue with some of the smaller craft breweries has always been getting Oxidized beer. Many smaller guys bring in Volunteers to fill bottles and cap them in a very manual process. Many times they are not always proficient at doing so leading to skunked beer.

I saw the Rogue-Vodoo Banana Chocolate thing at Bevmo the other day but couldn't pull the trigger. It was 13.99 and the Bacon-Maple was still fresh in my mind (or tongue). If it wasn't so darned expensive, I may have pulled the trigger.

Anything by 21st Amendment brewing, ESPECIALLY their watermelon ale. I would bet you couldn't tell the difference between it and watered down bud light in a side by side.
That's surprising to me. I can see not liking the watermelon one (I don't really care for it either), but I really enjoy their bitter American, Brew free or Die IPA and Back in Black black IPA.

Not sure if it counts as craft, but Mississippi Mud is probably the most atrocious "craft beer" I've ever drank.

I've had doubly magic hat I'm a bottle a few times, but never had a bad experience on draft. Fat tire to me is horrible in bottles and cans (too many times wasting money buying it again at the store) but I enjoy it when it is a draft beer.

I have to include anything from round barn brewery in south west Michigan. They make horrible sweet wines and should have never tried their beer. They cork everything Belgium style but the corks pull apart and the beer is not worth getting into.
. I have to say that this thread has been very amusing. Hearing all the stories of bad beer. I have traveled the earth and have had plenty of interesting ferments. But a lot of you have hit it on the head with the crap that some of the breweries put out to "be different".

I know that a lot of folks like Jolly Pumpkin's beers, but I absolutely hated Oro de Calabaza. Reminded me of the smells of my hockey gloves(**EDIT** smells like my skates since I skate barefoot...) when I didn't let them dry from one skate to the next... Gross...

I don't understand these posts. Magic Hat and Goose Island are the worst craft beer you have ever had? Good grief.

I like buying "craft brew" from time to time at Trader Joe's. I like the Oatmeal Stout and Dunkelweiss (the dunkel is a treat because the style isn't super popular in southern Ca). $6 a six pack is a pretty good deal for decent beer, plus it is a nice way to eventually get empties. Anyhow, those 2 are brewed for TJs by Gordon Biersch (they also do Kirkland for Costco).

Today, I decided to get Mission St. blonde ale and Kennebunk Port IPA. I got the blonde ale as a comparison for my first brew (blonde ale kit from More Beer). Needless to say, I likes mine better. Got the IPA for the hell of it and it has no hop character at all.

Not the worst craft brews ever (Rogue Maple Bacon takes that prize) but entirely underwhelming stuff. Oh well, the bottles will soon be filled with my stuff!

Clown Shoes Lubrication - I'm sure some like it but it just smells of cigarette butts to me.

Yuengling Bock Beer

Brux by Sierra Neveda. Their experimental sour. Feed-back from staff seems they won't be doing anything similar for a long while. After I ordered a glass took a couple sips, I guess my face said it all and bar tender said she would pour me something different. Two-headed double Rye IPA yum!

Woodstock brewery thru-hiker RyePA. I hope that I just got a fowl bomber, because it was the first in a long time that I just couldn't suck it up and grit through... It is hard to explain, but it had this really REALLY harsh champagne-like carbonation bite with a fruity off flavor. It just wasn't right. I know rye tends to bite. This was nothing like that. It almost tasted like a carbonation infection, if there is such a thing.

I would say Rogue Beers to me has the most inconsistent hit/miss ratio. Liqourice Porter - horrid, I do love the maple bacon beer though (it's a breakfest beer), but it is not for everyone. Rogue has had some awesome beers like Double Dead Guy ale, and undrinkables like their Single Malt Ale which is horrendous...I have only poured two beers down the drain, both were Rogue beers. That being said, they also have some of the best beer too (their Barleywine is fantastic).

Am I the only one who actually liked this beer?

I quite like this beer, it is also really fun to take to a party, camping or event. I make people try it and it is usually 3 out of 10 that actually like it. It is a novelty beer at most, even better as a breakfast beer while camping. In fact that beer can literally be your breakfast!

It's ok to hate on novelty beers, but they are what they are, novelty beers at best. What I don't understand is how a decent brewery will release a crap version of an ale, IPA or really anything that is so unbalanced its undrinkable. That is inexcusable in my mind.

Though it may have been a mental thing, Flying Dog Oyster Stout ("Made with real Rapanack River Oysters") just was an unpleasent beverage...but my mental image of oysters in beer may have done it in.

Im sure I've had worse ones, but their names excape me.

FWIW I thought Goose Island Honkers Ale was great.

OK, I have to join everyone saying Rogue Voodoo Maple Bacon. My friend brought me a bottle and said it was terrible, but I should try it anyway. Cloying artificial maple that coats the inside of your mouth and a liquid smoke flavor backing it up. I poured it into a 2oz taster glass, took one sip, gave my wife one sip, and poured out the other 1.75 ounces followed by the rest of the bottle. Worst beer ever! It makes me mad this beer exists at all, it makes me furious that Rogue sells it for $13+ a bottle.

Nothing artificial in that beer

Back